Which Algae Eating Fish for 60 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, was just looking for some advice on what options I have for algae eating species for my 60 gallon. It is a semi-aggressive/peaceful community in that there are juvenile semi-aggressive species mixed with some peaceful fish.

It has only been established for 3 Months and I am now starting to see the beginning of algae growth on my tank walls (near the substrate) and on my large rocks. It is pale green to tan in colour and is easily wiped off the glass when cleaning. I am under the assumption that this type of algae is common and due to excess nutrients in the water and perhaps a little over feeding.

My plan is to reduce feeding and introduce an algae eating fish, perhaps a pleco or other species? How much ground/walls can a small pleco cover? I didn't get the pleco for months since I was told they need a more established tank and to get it when the algae starts showing up. Another option is Siamese Algae Eaters but I heard they are semi-aggressive and might not do well in my tank. I will list my stock and hopefully you guys can help chime in with some advice on what I would be looking at as far as algae control.

Note: I will list the sizes of the fish as they are all juvenile. As they grow I will reduce the number of fish and house them in a new tank. I am looking for a species that can co-exist with my juvenile semi-aggressives but won't harass my peacefuls more than they already are.

Stocking List

60 Gallon
Fluval 306 Canister
50% Water change every 5 days (combating tanins from drift wood still)

Top Water
x8 2" Giant Danio
x3 2" Pearl Gourami

Mid/Bottom
x12 1" Cardinal Tetra
x2 1.5" Denison Barb (Rest of the school died due to Ick outbreak early on)
x1 1" Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
x1 1" Kribensis

Bottom
x5 1" Bandit Cory Cats
x1 2.5" Rainbow Shark

Was thinking that eventually this tank might turn into a semi-aggressive tank if I remove the tetras, cory cats, and pearls. So an algae eater that can take care of itself against kribensis and rainbow shark is what I'm looking for.

So far my EBJD is very passive towards anything other than the smallest of cardinal tetras, but the Kribensis is pretty territorial overall in the tank. The rainbow shark will only chase gourami but is passive towards everything else. The denison barbs just chase eachother.

This is a non-planted tank with artificial long grass, large rock caves, and medium to medium large rock substrate

I would go with a bristlenose pleco. They stay smaller than most plecos and actually clean the tank. They're also cool to look at. I also enjoy siamese algae eaters. I keep both with my regular jack dempsey.

On the other hand, I don't suggest adding fish just for algae control. That means there's an imbalance somewhere; light on too long, over-feeding, too little water being changed, infrequent water changes etc. But if you also want them because you like them, then I stick by the two I recommended.

Agreed I have two bn plecos they're great

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom