Which Filter do YOU like for a 55g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like my AquaClear 110 HOB. I've got that on my 55gal. I started out with a Whisper 60 and I didnt like that system so I went to the AquaClear. If I had to choose another type I would go with a canaster type filter.

I've got a Penguin 200 & H.O.T. Magnum on mine...always been a fan of Marineland products

Here is what I am looking at on BigAls:

Cascade 1000 ($75)

The Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter combines all the best features of popular canister filters in one easy to use filter. Features an easy, push button self primer, flow rate control cut-off valves, extra large stackable filter media containers, sturdy tip-proof base and 2 independant directional 360 degree rotating valve caps. Media is included with each filter. The Cascade 1000 is suitable for aquariums up to 100 gallons in size.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22583;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Magnum 350 Pro System ($90)

Magnum 350 Pro System includes everything in the Magnum 350 Deluxe plus a Bio-Wheel Pro 60 Wet/Dry biological filter and a Power Kleen gravel washer. Certified flow: 350 gph.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22053;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Fluval 404 With Filter Media ($100)

The ultimate multi-stage filter. Features, easy to use sealing lid with large seaaling clamps. The filter offers multi layer filtering and extremely efficient water flow throughout out the filter media for maximum cleaning. Automatic shut off disconnect valves and all hose and media included. 340 GPH. Recommended for aquariums up to 100 gallons in size.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22045;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

It's wednesday, so I would like to buy today. Also, can't all three of this filters later be used for a sw tank? I know everyone has different opinions but that is what I want to hear!

Eheims are great, Ill never own anything else. Super quiet and reliable but more pricey.

But Im a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

Of your 3 choices I would pick the Marineland (as long as you arent going to inject co2)

Penn Plax just leaves a cheap feel with me and Ive heard a TON of people that dislike their Fluvals (although the new series is supposed to be better)

The the fluval 404 the newer kind? Of course I care about filtration, but I also care about it being quiet. The magnum is on special, although I don't know what half that junk does.... Would ebay be a better choice than bigals even on a wednesday? Also, the Eheims on Bigal's dont have gph listed, which would be best for a 55g?

Go with the Fluval 404 I have had mine for a few years and it works great and I've never had a problem with it.

m249saw said:
Ive heard a TON of people that dislike their Fluvals (although the new series is supposed to be better)

This is a reference to the older models. The newer one (which I have) is absolutely great and if it weren't for the monthly maintenance, I wouldn't know it was there (btw, pics of it are available in my clickys).

I run a 404 on my 80fw and the rena filstar xp-2 on my 46fw and 50 brackish. I recently upgraded the the filters to the renas on both the 46 and 50. Prior to that I was running AC hobs in conjunction with eheim eccos on the 2 tanks. I liked the eheims but their flowrate was less then the fluvals and renas, hence running with the AC simultaneously. For ease of maintainance I prefer the Renas over the Fluvals. The Fluval is a bit quieter then the Rena though although neither really can be heard unless the room is completely quiet. I have been running my fluval for about 7 years now and never have had a problem with it. Of course if you go with the Rena get the xp-3 for the 55. Its fine for my 46 and 50 because the 46 is lightly stocked and eventually the 50 will be full marine so I will use a protein skimmer and LR instead of the Rena

Sounds like the Fluval is the favorite. But what about the extras with the magnum?

"Bio-Wheel Pro 60 Wet/Dry biological filter and a Power Kleen gravel washer"

Do i need a biological filter if I get the fluval, and isn't that just a normal gravel washer? Those things are cheap right?

The Fluval is a 4 stage bio-filter.

I wouldn't buy a filter based on the 'extras' unless the product itself was great. A decent sized gravel vac can run around $10 - $20. This is where we start the discussion about the Python...LOL.

I absolutely love my Cascade 1000. The canisters are ALOT different than the hob's. They are not cheap in any way. Another member bought one and dropped it on the floor and kicked it across the room (by accident) and it still worked smoothly. That's quality. I dropped one of the hob's and it busted into pieces.

Jchillin said:
The Fluval is a 4 stage bio-filter.

I wouldn't buy a filter based on the 'extras' unless the product itself was great. A decent sized gravel vac can run around $10 - $20. This is where we start the discussion about the Python...LOL.

There's a vacuum other than the Python? :)

I don't care for fluval canister filters. It did not work well in my 55 g with livebearers. Mine had babies and the tubing clogged up a huge pain. I will use the canister filters with my plant/shrimp/snails only tanks but nothing with livebearers. For those I prefer bio-wheels and use the Emperor 400. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom