Which fish are best for cycling? [zebra danios?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

storm3884

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know this has probably been answered here a thousand times over but which fish are best suited for new tank cycling?

I currently have a 55 gallon (long), Emporer 400 filter, and black sand/gravel mix base.

I have heard that Zebra Danios are particularly hardy, entertaining and cheap. I plan on purchasing about three or four initially to spur the cycle. Is that too many?

After the tank is "established" will they be compatible with the cardinal tetras I plan on?

Thanks for the help!!!

K

Yes, that would be a very good idea. The danios would help cycle the aquarium and will do just fine with tetras. Onely one thing, get at least 5 danios to school with :wink:

Don't forget that when you tank is cycled it will only have enough bacteria for the few danios you have put in. Every fish you add afterwards will only create a new cycle.

Cardinal tetras are somewhat known to be less than hardy and do best in an established tank that isn't cycling. Otherwsie you will probably loose quite a few.

If you do a fishless cycle then you can add a full tank load of fish at one time without stressing the fish.

There is also the option of using the product biospira which seems to have been shown to fully cycle a tank if properly used and can be done within 24 hours. Seems like it would be worth a try. There is a big biospira thread going on right now so do a search for it. Other cycling products do not work at all. And biospira must be bought from a dealer with a special refridgerator. Make sure to follow the directions.

Ya - 5 or more danios would be good to start with. Mainly because their schooling fish. If your interested in breeding them, it's very easy, just pm Dr. Danio :wink:

How many danios would you recommend using to cycle a heavily planted 70 gal tank?

-Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom