Which Fish are easier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting rid of my gold barbs because they are getting too aggressive, which will leave me room for a few livebearers.

Which are eaiser to keep and breed, mollies or guppies? What have people's experiences been? I am intending to pick one or the other.

I'm assuming guppies are more prolific.
I've seen guppy fry come into existence and [somewhat] survive in some of the most terrible conditions. If there's a male and a female, its almost inevitable that you'll have a pregnant female.

Just my two cents.

I have seen guppies breed in a neglected two gallon successfully, and their fry were better at surviving/hiding from the adults in the gravel till they were big enough to not get eaten than any other fish I have had without a pair of parents for protection.

On the other hand, I have had mollies in a 15 gallon that were obviously pregnant that just refused to have their babies for whatever reason, maybe due to the ph level, maybe their tank mates, diet, I don't know... Same with a female swordtail in my 55 gallon community: she was gravid and bulging, but would not have babies for some reason.

I think they can both breed like crazy. Several years ago we had four Mollys. They were breeding so fast that we had to get rid of them.

Unfortunately mollies and guppies are both quite inbred now (with male guppies for their colouration, and with mollies b/c they're seen as a 'starter fish' so breeders are less concerned about quality and more with churning them out to the LFS). So much that most are deformed or prone to sickness now which is quite sad. If you do go for one or the other, probably mollies would be easier to keep.

If you're just after easy livebearers in general, then swordtails are probably a better choice :) Healthier strains and quite peaceful generally.

(Edited for clarification)

Platies, which are also related to Swordtails, are also a good choice. I prefer them over Mollies as I think they are hardier than Mollies and Mollies should have aquarium salt, whereas Swordtails and Platies do not require it.

Mollies do not require salt. The wild species are brackish and require marine salt, not aquarium salt. Mollies have been bred in captive aquariums for so long that they no longer require the marine salt (unless they are wild).

theotheragentm said:
Mollies should have aquarium salt, whereas Swordtails and Platies do not require it.

careful what you say, your misleading it to sound like aquarium salt, mollies are really brackish fish and should have sea salt (im not accusing you of doing it on purpose, just saying)

Back
Top Bottom