Which fish are known jumpers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I'm building a shallow reef tank (16" tall) and it's gonna be completely open top so I'd like to know which fish are known for jumping out the tank to avoid that. I just learned jawfish are known for doing this which kinda sucks cause I really wanted one. It'll be a huge bummer to come home one day and find your super cool little jawfish dried up on the floor. Plus they cost like 100 bucks lol

Some wrasses. But my top is open and my six line hasent tried yet, even my wheeler goby hasent tried yet.

Yes, in general, although I have heard they can be hard on shrimp. But they are impressive jumpers. I have over the years lost two long nose hawks as a result of them hitting a quarter size hole in the cover and getting out.

Nevermind I have an open top. I'm just trying to figure out what to add next. So far I have a six line wrasse a wheeler goby with shrimp a Picasso trigger a percula clown and a valentini puffer. And a red thorny star an a sand sifter.

I've had (and heard of) multiple six lines jumping along with a couple flasher wrasses and a bluejaw. Never kept any of the hawkfish because they eat the CUC. Have you looked at DIY tops?

Kinda defies the purpose of the rimless tank... I'm trying my hardest to keep everything out of view. Even the lights are gonna be suspended from the ceiling... I'm just gonna stay away from any little guy that likes to jump

Understandable and smart. Kudos for not blindly going with trial and error. We can expect pics right? This sounds like a very cool tank.

I have the top, if I use it my temp rises to 85. I'm saving up for a chiller. My six line doesn't go anywhere near the top. All he does is swim through the rocks and eats. But each fish is different. Like I have a puffer living with crabs and starfish in harmony.

Gobies jump, wrasses jump and blennies. Some fish naturally swim downwards when their "fight or flight" kicks in but these fish swim straight up. Rimless look really cool but i've even had a clown jump. I put a lid on mine aftet that, my tank had too much action around it (dog, cat, kids, ect)

BRS sells a clear plastic mesh that is strong and blocks almost zero light. A frame can be made to hold this mesh on a rimless tank that would keep the fish in and preserve the clean look.

Last edited:
most def! its gonna take me alittle bit longer to get started cause im working 7 days a week and i wanna make sure i have EVERYTHING i need once i start. plus this is my first saltwater tank so i wanna know as much as i can too. but ill make a build thread for sure ^_^

Given your tank plans, I'd rule out any tang.

bjj_junkie said:

Tangs need a ton of swimming room, they never stop moving. Plus since your starting off fresh get small cheap fish like damsels or blue chromis. Nice and hardy. Tangs get ich easily.

Puffers aren't really jumpers, but most of them are questionable at best at being reef safe. Most are solitary, aggressive fish. You'd probably do alright with some chromis, and have u considered sand sifting inverts, maybe seastars, or perhaps sea dragons?

Back
Top Bottom