Which fish to add now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
The yellow labs were added successfully, they all survived and are very active. They school together great and I beleive I have 1 male and 3 females however its hard to sex labs.

Now which fish to add? I have decided on Aceis, Blue Peacock, Cobalt Zebra, and Yellow Peacocks.

I know the Aceis are best in groups of 4 and somewhat school. The rest I believe are ok solo and as with all Cichlids need to be added with caution. They are all omnivores and should be ok together... Which should I add next?

i have no idea which to add next but i just wanted to say congrats on your labs. How big are they??? I bought all my african's as babies from an assorted tank for 1.99 each plus 20% off ( a special they run sometimes) so i had to figure out what they were by researching.. LOL.. not the smartest way to start cichldis but i did ok. Once the ones i have reach adult size i can sex them and i may add more females if i can find them.. and maybe some other types of compatible ones if there is room.

Good luck and have fun :mrgreen:

Most are about 1 1/2" then there is one thats over 2" with strong black in the bottom fins. (prolly male) They get along just fine with the rainbow shark and the zebra danios (I know the Danios will need to be moved or they will become lunch)

oh cool.. all of mine are about 1" and growing. I also have no problems with my clown loaches, rainbow shark, and pleco. I have found the cichlids to be very fulfilling in my larger aquarium. I was beginning to get bored with it but now my interest has become sparked again.

I would add the Acei's next. The Cobalts I would add last since they can be a bit more territorial. It will give the other fish time to establish territories. Congrats on the successful lab introduction! :D

Hey why don't you go write down the names of the cichlids you see in your area at the fish stores and determine which ones are in your price range... then research whats you like to determine if they can go in your tank. ? It just seems like its tough to get your heart set on something and then not be able to find it.. but if you could find something in your area you could determine the compatibility on what's available.

Blue Peacock, Cobalt Zebra, Kenyi, Demansoni and Yellow Peacocks. are all at my LFS and I like them all. However If I add a Kenyi or Blue Peacock or Cobalt Zebra I dunno if any of these need to be in schools etc??

I know the Aceis and the yellow labs need schools but do any of the others?

Jase is from indiana and has recently purchased several. I'm not sure how far away you guys are apart, but if you're within a reasonable distance, I'm sure you'd be able to find them where he purchased them.

Africans in general are not schooling fish. There are the exceptions that prefer to be in numbers, such as the Labs, Acei's, and so forth. They do not HAVE to be in "schools", they just seem happier in numbers. But the ones that you listed do not strike me as being "schooling" Africans. Kenyi's are pretty cool fish, we actually have one that just changed colors practically overnight. Just about any African will be happier in numbers, but there are the exceptions such as the Auratus (definately do not get one of those buggers). But I wouldn't read too much into it. Can't think off the top of my head of any Peacock that prefers numbers, so you're safe there. Keep trying for the Acei's if its really what you want. When stocking the 55 gal tank it took me 5 months to track down True Rummynose Tetras. But lo and behold, they are in the tank. :D

I called to Plainfield petsmart and they have 5 Acei in stock! I will be getting them prolly tomorrow. It seems that Petsmart and Petco might be a little more knowledgeable about Cichlids than some of the other LFS around here so the extra miles might be worth it...

Well I went and what they had was Ice Blue Zebra cichlids... the guy just thought they were Acei's. ARGH!

I will continue my search!

Ice Blue's aren't bad, but probably too aggressive for your tank. We had one that terrorized the other tankmates until the day it died. Probably too aggressive for the labs. But if you really want the Acei's, I'd say get them. Wait until they are available. They are beautiful and well worth it IMO. :D

All the stores have said they order certain ones and they change every 14 weeks or so If I come back in february they might be on the order list. I will prolly just order them online if I cant find them in an assorted tank.

Anyone know what they look like when they are really really young? Things I should look for to locate them?

I have now found some places that say they can order them or might have them within a week or so. So my search is nearing a end...

however one guy said(a cichlid breeder I know) that they are pretty fish when they are smaller but lose their color and lose their looks as they grow older. I have seen the Labs and they stay great colors with age. Anyone have any thoughts about the Acei?

Acei's look the same as adults as they do as young. We purchased ours when they were about 2 inches in size. Two of them are now at about 4 1/2 inches and still looks as good, actually better, than it did when we purchased them. Their coloration has gotten bolder and smoother. I've never heard of them loosing their looks or coloration. So far we haven't noticed anything. Here's a link to what they look like as Juvi's and adults.

ok.. now i want Acei in my tank!!! LOL.. they are georgous! My LFS sells them for about 5.99 each but i think i have to wait until all the little ones in my tank reach a lager size cuz they are all small now... and i didn't see any purple ones in the 1.99 baby cichlid tank.. thats where ive been getting mine from.

Acei's are pretty docile in regards to aggression. I'd say that they are comparable to Labs. They also like to be in numbers, so if you purchase some Ashley, count on at least 3.

Back
Top Bottom