Which Gobies are Safe for a DSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I now have just about everything I need to start my 40 Gallon Breeder Reef Tank.

With doing all my research for this tank...I have become very interested in having a Gobie of some type in my tank (I am very paritial to the Watchman Gobie).

I know that some Gobies are a definate no-no in reef tank with a DSB, but I have heard that some are fine as they do not dig too deep into the sand to cause problems.

What kinds of Gobies are considered "compatible" with a DSB (3.5-4 inches deep).

Thanks!

I have about a 2 1/2-3 in sand bed. I have a yellow watchman goby with a tiger pistol shrimp. The pistol digs in the sanda lot more then the goby does. You should be fine going with a watchman.

i dont have a deepsand bed, but would assume most gobies wont dig deep enough to deisturb the bed, i would just stay away from the jawfish

what's wrong with the jawfish? The yellow-headed one caught my eye the other day in a tank I saw at a doctor's office. He didn't really dig a whole, but rather made his home in a cave between the sandbed and the lr. Isn't stirring up the sandbed a good thing? Or does this guy stir up too much?

The watchman will hang out on the bottom with the shrimp or alone. The neon blue will swim and rest on rocks higher up. Get both maybe. I don't think the watchman moves sand. Maybe he would if my watchman wasn't there to move it for him.

I'm thinking you're asking about gobies that move sand around. Both of those above are safe IMO. There are other really different, colorful looking shrimp gobies also. I'd just stay away from those 3-5" monstors that can change the whole sand aquascape in a matter of a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom