Which has more personality: betas or cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have heard a lot of stories about these fish and how they both have tons of personality. I'd like to hear your stories about your fish and which you think has more personality/which is better.

Personally I'd say my beta, but just by a little bit.

What do you think? Betas or cichlids?

Maxkolbe said:
Have heard a lot of stories about these fish and how they both have tons of personality. I'd like to hear your stories about your fish and which you think has more personality/which is better.

Personally I'd say my beta, but just by a little bit.

What do you think? Betas or cichlids?

As an owner of cichlids and never a beta I can't really chime in, but my cichlids do have quite the personalities lol i wish they could talk sometimes haha

I've kept both. I had a beta I loved but it died while I was on vacation and I've never had one like it since. My cichlids were fun but they lived to eat....

I have both a betta and cichlids. Both seem to have personalities. I cannot say one more than the other. Bettas seem to have more varying personalities depending on the individual, but cichlids seem to have a more common personality per species. Bettas (well the common pet store ones) usually have very different personalities.

jetajockey said:
There's over 1500 different kinds of cichlids, this is a very vague question to answer.

+1. my angel had a crazy personality, my ram did not. My betta is more fun than the ram, but not as awesome as my angel was. Vague

Let's see:

I've had a female betta who was a serial killer

I've got jack dempseys that eat out of my hand

I've got 2 breeding pairs of firemouths that flare out their gills at me when I approach the tank

I've got mixed mbuna who nibble my fingers and play with them

I've got GBRs who think my fingers are a maze to swim through

I've got bolivian rams that greet me every time I come near the tank by swimming in tight circles

I've got angels who also play with my fingers

And I know this isn't a cichlid or betta, but I have two types of syno catfish who love their bellies rubbed when I'm cleaning the tank and will come up to the glass, belly first so I can "rub" them through the glass before they eat pellets out of my fingers.

So picking which has more personality is hard.

There's over 1500 different kinds of cichlids, this is a very vague question to answer.

There are over 2400 as of last year, with more being found every year.

But to the OP's question comparing a small fish to some of the larger new world cichlids that can identify different colors, differentiate individual people, and show emotion it's not a very tough choice. There is a reason fish like oscars are called "wet pets".

Last edited:
Cichlids most definitely. Bettas just sit there. If you put ghost shrimp into a cichlid tank it's like watching Animal Planet

jrskater1999 said:
Cichlids most definitely. Bettas just sit there. If you put ghost shrimp into a cichlid tank it's like watching Animal Planet

Not all bettas just sit there. It depends on the individual betta. Bettas eat ghost shrimp too! Lol.

maxwellag said:
Not all bettas just sit there. It depends on the individual betta. Bettas eat ghost shrimp too! Lol.

Ya I guess. But my 5 Africans vs. 3 ghost shrimp is amazing

Back
Top Bottom