which mh retrofit kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swiftwing7

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am looking at the different kits at this site http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting__index.asp?CartId= because i recently bought from them and everything went very well, so i will enjoy doing business with them again. Anyway I have a 120 (4x2x2) tank and want everything, corals clams fish so just think with everything in mind. So which kit should I get? The MH and vho or pc or plain fluorescent. If this isn't the best site i am willing to business with another. I am getting a retrofit because i built my own stand and am going to build my own canopy. Another question do you think i should go ahead and build the canopy or wait until i have the kit just to make it perfect? thanks for the help

Swift

well i would go with mh and i think you will need 2 of them. and i think they will have to be 250 watt or bigger because of how tall your tank is. i would go with like 15k or 10k and then get some vho 03 to give you the 03 to the tank. but if you wanted you could get 20k but then you can really have a dust/dawn look in the morning and night.

so i should go with the mh and vho set. Why not pc, are they not as good? Di i have to get a certain type of kit for a cetain bulb or do all mh bulbs fit in the same socket? If I went with one of the systems on the site i psoted earlier would i eb able to stick a 250 watt bulb in or would i need a new ballast? It says it comes with a 175 watt bulb does that mean it is the max it can handle?

Check out the coralvue 250 watt MH/ T-5 actinic retro kits as well. They have an electronic ballasts and alot less exspensive. Than most.

I like my coralvue 2x250 MH/T5 retro kit. Definately get electronic ballasts. Very quiet.

Can somebody post a link to where I can get that kit. It sounds very good and i am interested in it. Can I buy the mh and T5's in a kit together or do I have to buy all the different parts of the lighting setup seperatly.

Thanks for the help

edit: I found the site that has them http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/listcatbrand.asp?CatID=lt&brandID=CV# now don't puish this one captive reefs. Just because its at you site :wink: If somebody can assure my this is a good site I think I am going to go with the MH/T5 setup. But should i go for 250 watts, or stay with 400. If it is something i am going to regret later down the line i'd rather just start out with it. So what should it be? Also with this setup will there be diferent plugs so I can run timers?
Thanks
Swift

If somebody can assure my this is a good site

I've ordered from darin at captive reefs a few times and I can tell you it's a good site. I talked to him about what i wanted before i ordered it and he made suggestions, answered questions and in no way tried to push anything on me to try to make a fast buck. I highly recommend captive reefs.

ClamKnuckle said:
If somebody can assure my this is a good site

I've ordered from darin at captive reefs a few times and I can tell you it's a good site. I talked to him about what i wanted before i ordered it and he made suggestions, answered questions and in no way tried to push anything on me to try to make a fast buck. I highly recommend captive reefs.

so should I get the 400 or 250 watt, my tank is 24 inches deep. 120 gallon 4x2x2. Which would be the best choice?

250 watts will be more than adequate for a 120 gallon. 400 watters would work but for the extra money and heat they produce i would go with the 250's unless you only want SPS and clams than maybe the 400's

darin is a great guy i order my cls hood from him and i talked to him on the phone great guy and is lloking out for you and not just makeing a fast $$$. he can answer all you questons. give him a call and talk to him. and remember you get 6% off the stuff from his site.

yes i want to keep sps and clams. Will it be nessesary to have the 400 watt bulb so the light can go down two feet and reach the clams? The tank is deep and that is why I was wondering if the 400 watt bulbs would give better lighting at the bottom of the tank than the 250's so clams and others will grow better.
Thanks, its only 60 or so dollars more for the 400 verses 250 watts so I don't mind spending the extra cash.
Thanks
Swift

Well if you plan on keeping any softies or mushrooms i would go with the 250's. Mushrooms and softies do not like 400 watters! If you only want SPS and clams than go for the 400's. Just be aware that it is to much light for some corals!

I am courous about lighting also. Would it be possible to set up a 250 MH on one side of the tank for mushrooms and softies and put a 400 MH on the other side of the tank for Clams and SPS? Or would that look funny?

it would look very funny. 1/2 of the tnak would be brighter then the other 1/2. unless you were to some how find a way to cut the tank in 1/2 and make it seem like 2 tanks right next to the other. but i cant thing of a way to make it look like some thing normal.

I think 250's are the best for an all around mixed tank! They will let you keep anything you want. They keep the heat lower tha the 400's and the use less power and are cheaper to buy. 400's have there place but in my opinion only dedicatd clam and SPS tanks or very deep tanks.

Back
Top Bottom