Which nitrate color chart...master kit or individual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got an API nitrate kit and the color chart is different from the one that comes with the master test kit. The one in the individual kit makes more sense, it's a lot easier to use. The one in the master kit shows 10 and 20 as virtually the same shade...I always had the hardest time differentiating between the two. The one in the individual kit shows 20 as being the red shade that the master kit says is 40. Do you think this new one I got is an updated version? Has anyone else noticed this? I just want to use the correct one.

I'd suspect it's either 1: an update, or 2: just a different set. It could be as simple as it's manufactured in a different place (Or by a different sub-contractor) and so the reagents are a slightly different mix. I definately envy you though. I have to get my artist fiancee to look at the color chart half the time to tell me what it is. I have just about as much trouble with amonia. (Twice I've been halfway through a water change and she's gone "Babe, this is yellow (or enter other color here)")

The individual kit contains the color cards for both SW & FW. The ones on my kit is different by one step. <The FW 20 is red, the SW 40 is red.> This is kinda what your 2 kits are, so I am wondering if you are comparing a SW with a FW card ....

If not, always use the card that comes with the kit ... they can change reagent concentration from batch to batch, and a good kit will have a different color card for each batch.

The individual kit contains the color cards for both SW & FW. The ones on my kit is different by one step. <The FW 20 is red, the SW 40 is red.> This is kinda what your 2 kits are, so I am wondering if you are comparing a SW with a FW card ....

If not, always use the card that comes with the kit ... they can change reagent concentration from batch to batch, and a good kit will have a different color card for each batch.

Yes, I am comparing two FW cards. Ah I see, thank you! That totally makes sense. I will definitely go by the new card :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom