Which of these tank sizes should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have decided to get a little larger tank than the 29 gal that I originally wanted because I am afraid I will wish I had a bigger one later on, and since I have the room, I have narrowed it down to the following. The longest tank I can accommodate is 36", so these are the options I saw at the stores and online:
38 gal: 36 x 12 x 20
40 breeder : 36 x 18 x 16
45 gal: 36 x 12 x 24
50 gal: 36 x 18 x 18
46 bowfront: 36 x 16 x 21

I would assume I would have the most options with the two 18" wide ones because of the most surface area, but it is just hard to visualize what these will look when full and with a wood canopy on top. Do they look better if they are a little taller and not as wide, or will it matter? And the bowfront one probably looks the nicest, but might be a little more challenging to building a stand. The prince is not a big deal because there is not a huge difference between all of these (I think about $40 was the most). So what do you guys think would look the best between these?

Easily the 50, and taller tanks always look smaller than wider (side to side) tanks. There is a 65 that fits the same footprint, but is 24" tall.

I would go with the biggest, longest tank you can get. Tall tanks are normally not prefered with fish. Fish want long tanks that they can swim in, fish don't swimming vertical they swim horizontal.

In my opinion I would go with the biggest tank that you can accommodate because like you said you will always want a bigger tank. I have a 120 gallon and a 55 gallon and I want to get at least a 150g or even 180g. My brother just set up a 220 gallon and let me tell you it is an absolutely gorgeous tank but too big for me as I am only 5'4. Another 12 inches and you could easily get a 55 or even a 75 but it is whatever you think will make you happy.

I would also vote for the 50 or 40 breeder. I've had a 45 and they are a pain in the butt as they are so tall and narrow. Some folks really like the look of the bowfront tanks but that is personal preference. I don't know what type of tank you're planning on setting up, but in almost all cases bigger is better.

Personally I'd go for the bowfront, since I've never had one and they look so nice :p

Ok, I was kinda leaning towards those wide tanks, but was unsure if they would look good or not being so wide, like if it would be hard to see fish in the back. I will try to look for a 50 in some stores because that is the only one I haven't found yet. But I suppose if I can't find one, then I could get that 40. I doubt 2 inches in height is going to matter much, but hopefully I can find a 50.

I havent shopped around too much yet, but I saw a 40 breeder with the glass top and light for $120. I don't need the light because I am going to build a canopy, but the glass top might be nice to have besides the canopy to keep the lights protected and fish from jumping out.

I have been looking around and no one seems to have that 50, so I think I might end up getting the 40. I'll look for a little longer, but would like to get this within the next couple of weeks so if no luck, it doesn't seem like there would be a lot of difference between the two with just the 2 inches of height.

Well, just when I was going to go buy the 40, I made a couple more calls (even to a store I had already looked at), and they had a 50! It is $139 with the lid and the light, and I guess even though I am going to need to upgrade the light anyways, the cheapest I found the 40 gal with just the lid was $120. So for $20 more than I was going to spend, I can't complain. Maybe I can sell the light or something or see if I can buy it without it when I go in there. I just assumed Petco or Petsmart would be cheaper for tanks than an LFS, but Petco had the 40 tank only with no lid for $109. So I guess I can't go wrong picking up this 50.

50g is an awesome size! I have a 40 breeder and I love the size/shape. I wanted a second one but my lfs only had a 50g and not the 40br....so I'm getting one of those hopefully tomorrow. :)

Congrats on the new tank! I think you will like the shape of it.

I would get the 50g too. First look for the largest footprint size, then get the highest possible for that footprint within your budget.

Yeah, I saw the 65 in that same footprint, but I don't want to deal with that height. According to some, those are hard to clean, and I am short, and would not be able to reach the bottom of that!

Yeah, I saw the 65 in that same footprint, but I don't want to deal with that height. According to some, those are hard to clean, and I am short, and would not be able to reach the bottom of that!

Haha I agree, I also don't like super tall tanks for the same reason. :clown:

where can you get a 40g breeder for $40? !!
Over the past few years petco has a dollar a gallon sale. Hopefully they will again this year. Some limit the sizes available that is the only thing.

Don't forget used tanks can be a bargain. In the past couple of months I've purchased 3 55 gal tanks, 2 with hoods and heaters, for less than $200 total. Or ask around. I also just got FREE 30 and 200 gal tanks from a friend of a friend that was tired of them taking up space in his garage. :p

I'm just starting breeding and need these for grow out tanks. The one's I purchased were listed on Craigslist here locally. But I see them in the classifieds sometimes too. Just look for cracks or chips before purchasing. If the seal leaks, that's easy to fix but cracks or chips mean it's only good for reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom