Which one is better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started a planted tank and I'm interested to learn what others recommend.

So, um, following. :D

Nice looking tank, (in your avatar), btw! (y)

I'd personally vote for aquasoil. Great stuff. If you cant get it, then eco-complete. Trust me, rinsing flourite is no fun.

Smot said:
I'd personally vote for aquasoil. Great stuff. If you cant get it, then eco-complete. Trust me, rinsing flourite is no fun.

I read that about flourite but it's mixed reviews. They said flourite holds plants down better than Eco-complete and has more iron. It's just the rinsing and cloudiness that last for days. Unlike the Eco-complete that you can open the bag and put it in your tank. Maybe I'll just get the Eco-complete then dose iron or add root tabs. I'll check out aqua-soil. Thanks.

IMHO, it doesn't matter what kind you get because eventually its all going to lose its nutrients and you'll be forced to use root tabs and ferts if it's a high tech tank.

i got three baGS total, one each of the following : flourite, carib-sea kind maybe eco- complete and active-flora...i think. this one looked like natural gravel and had bio bacteria liquid in the bag(from petco). after many rinses with the flourite and the other stuff(they have both at petsmart) i mixed them together in my tank. it took a day to settle and it was clear after a day of rinning a 205 fluval canister filter. its my first real attempt at using any plant substrate, i get 2 or 3 hours of direct sunlight in the addition of 2x24w t5 h.o. i hope it is good for my plants i have not gotten co2, yet... anyway today i found 2 semi large nuisance snails on my plants(that i thought i washed well enough.errr!) and im wondering if angel fish will eat them(when the fish get bigger) or if they will become a overwhelming problem...anyone?

Last edited:
here is a pic of what the substrate looks like...
33953-albums1418-picture10044.jpg

I also vote for ADA Amazonia Aquasoil. I have some that has been in a tank for 2.5 years, and carpet plants still grow like weeds.

I just added some amazonia powder and some ADA powersand to a new tank... it took about a month for a few little twigs of glosso to completely cover the bottom of the tank.

fort384 said:
I also vote for ADA Amazonia Aquasoil. I have some that has been in a tank for 2.5 years, and carpet plants still grow like weeds.

I read that it turns clayish after a while that's why I didn't even check on that. Is that true?

fort384 said:

I just added some amazonia powder and some ADA powersand to a new tank... it took about a month for a few little twigs of glosso to completely cover the bottom of the tank.

That's fast. But then you have a CO2 system. I'll check on the ADA Amazonia aquasoil and see if I'll like it better than Eco-complete.

I read that it turns clayish after a while that's why I didn't even check on that. Is that true?

I have heard that too... I haven't experienced that at all with any of my amazonia (powder or regular).

It went from this:
19738-albums1199-picture8503.jpg

to this:

19738-albums1199-picture9760.jpg

in about 5 weeks...

After 3 months, I have given away many large clumps, and it requires weekly trimming. I love the aquasoil :)

fort384 said:
It went from this:

to this:

in about 5 weeks...

After 3 months, I have given away many large clumps, and it requires weekly trimming. I love the aquasoil :)

Wow! That is amazing.

I believe it happens when you put them too deep. All of my tanks that use ugf, the bottom part of the aquasoil turned into clay after about a year. If you only use 1-2 inch, i dont think you have to worry.

I think the problem is probably using Aquasoil on top of a UGF... all that current/flow through the substrate would not be ideal. Using a UGF with nutrient rich substrate is somewhat counterproductive.

Back
Top Bottom