Which pleco to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS just gave me some insider information about some new plecos being shipped here that they normally don't get.

I have a planted 20g high with driftwood and rock formations. It has floramax black substrate. The tank is cycled and has 3 Kuhli loaches, DG, and some bloodfin tetras.

She told me she doesn't know exactly what's being sent but she knows she's getting a gold nugget pleco.

I want a pleco that gets around 6 inches. I'm even open to a twig catfish. What's some of yalls plecos experience? I heard gold nuggets don't live very long at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have longfin super red bristlenose plecos and love them! Great colour, good size and easy to care for. I also have had the bulldog pleco he was a neat little guy very active.
I'm not experienced with the gold nuggets but beautiful looking.
But remember plecos are poop machines Lol

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

There are several different plecos called "gold nugget." See if you can find the L number. They can reach a good 9 inches plus, so I don't think they are a good candidate for a 20g tank but if you can find out the L number of the species you will be able to get more exact info.
I have kept farlowella in the past and I really like them. They are just so cool to look at. I rarely saw much behavior, but still a gorgeous fish. They have a much smaller bioload than a pleco would. Farlowella seem to do better in cooler water, like the low 70s. They are not a fish for high heat. They also need good airflow and an aged tank. Frankly, I have not experienced them to be that hardy.
If you are willing to order online, check out the stock at The Wet Spot. They often get in amazing pleocs that I rarely see elsewhere. Or, see who your lfs orders from and if they can do a special order for you if the right thing isn't included in the shipment. There are some amazing varieties of bristle nose out there if you want something small and unique.

I got a mustard spot. LD30 something A

My in laws have a 100 gallon at her shop and when it gets too big I'll move it there

If i where you i would try and get my hands on 1-3 Bristolnose Plecos they fit well into a twenty gallon aquarium, i would try first for three, for a set or group breeding project.

Thanks for the reply krib, yeah I got a albino one yesterday! He's quite the active little guy too. Can you give me a timetable on growth for them? Everybody says plecos grow fast as all hell but this is my first one

Back
Top Bottom