Which powerhead...maybe none???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zimer34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone-
I'm new to the aquarium world and have been trying to soak in as much information as possible. There has been one piece of equipment so far in my initial buying stage that has somewhat confused me....and that's the powerhead.

I'll give you the info of what I plan to do and then ask my questions:
1) I plan on setting up the tank with 13 types of small tropical tetras (and some bottom feeders like cory catfish and a few wood shrimp).
2) I would like to try live plants and plan on doing that
3) I'll have a mixture of aquarium gravel...larger pieces of quartz/agates and some driftwood.

I just purchased two penguin 350 biowheels for the tank but I'm wondering what I need for a powerhead or if I need one at all?

I've been reading that the biowheels don't excel at bringing up water from the aquarium bottom to be filtered so I was thinking about using a marineland maxijet in circulation mode to aid with this? Is that correct? Or should I plan on using the piece of equipment as a powerhead (which my understanding is used to create oxygen...is that correct)? Or do they both create oxygen? I'm a little lost as far as what my primary objective is with this piece of equipment. More oxygen....or better circulation.....or both?

My other main question is what size of maxijet should I be purchasing now that I have two penguin 350's. Can I have too much flow for my tetras?? I was thinking the the maxijet 600 but if more is always better I'll get the 900 or the 1200. Thanks for your help!!!(y)

Maxi Jet 600
Powerhead Mode
160 gph

Circulation Mode
750 gph

I use bio- wheels on all of my aquariums except one, and I think that they filtrate fine.

First, how big is the tank? Tetras, or any social/schooling fish, are best kept in groups of at least 5. Tetras aren't lake or pond fish; they live in flowing water in the wild, and most likely prefer it.
Regarding the question of circulation, more is generally better. Personally I have no use for biowheels, or any Marineland product for that matter since the stealth heater recall. I use aquaclear hob filters and eheim canisters on my 13 tanks, with air-driven sponge filters in all of them and a powerhead in at least half for additional circulation/filtration. Intake extensions on the aquaclears certainly do circulate water from the bottom of the tank.
My tanks tend to be very heavily stocked, and anything that moves water and collects debris is helpful. The only concern would be if you want to use CO2 and high light to grow plants, because too much disturbance of the water surface will outgas the CO2 more quickly.

Sorry about that, I thought I had that in my post. It's a 90 gallon tank so I was thinking 13 groups of 4 or 10 groups of 5.

I would like to have live plants in my aquarium...so that would be a concern, but you're saying it wouldn't bother the tetras? Which size do I need for the 90 gallon? I was thinking the 600 but the 900 and 1200 are almost the same price so it really doesn't matter to me...I want what's best for the fish...

Here are the specs
Maxi-Jet® Power Heads

So would I be using this in aeration mode or circulation mode with the fan? Remember that I don't fully understand the purpose of a powerhead...

Whether it would be a concern for plants depends on which plants you want. The purpose of a powerhead is to pump water, whether through a filter or simply for additional circulation. Hydor Koralia or one of the knockoff brands are made specifically for circulating water, while the maxi-jets are more flexible but not necessarily any better for the purpose. An air pump would actually move water from the bottom of the tank better than a powerhead unless it's attached to an UG filter. I think powerheads were originally designed to run UG filters since they move more water than an air pump. If you really want to turn up the flow rate get an aquaclear 110 powerhead. They pump 900+ gph, and in a 4' tank create a very strong current.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom