Which substrate is better for my African Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dacaptain78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I currently keep 9 various Lake Malawi African Cichlids, one Frontosa, one Synodontis, and one pleco in a 75 gallon tank and am thinking of changing my substrate from Eco-complete gravel to sand. I have no problem with the gravel but I have come to like the look of sand better and feel that it will make tank maintenance a bit easier.
My main concern is with my albino zebra who enjoys burrowing in the gravel. I am worried that if the zebra can not burrow in the sand she will become stressed. On the other hand, if she does continue to burrow how much of a mess will the sand make in throughout the tank? Would the zebra create a sand storm each time she burrows? I had a similar problem in a SW tank with a wrasse. Cleaning sand off the rock work is not fun.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

It's all personal preference. I prefer sand, pool filter sand to be exact. It's heavy and won't create a "sand storm" effect. Mine are constantly moving it around, picking it up and spitting.

Thank you for the responses. As long as there are no health/behavioral risks towards my fish I think I will try the sand.

You can clean sand with your Python. Just use a heavier sand and you don't have to worry about sucking any of it up.

I have 125 gal with African cichlids and PFS. I use the python like FF with no trouble for weekly gravel vacs. My cichlids keep digging around in the sand, they change the landscaping daily. :)

I had PFS in my Malawi tank, switched it to black 3M Color Quartz, I like both probably because they are both sand. All my tanks that have subsrtate are all sand. Just make sure you use a prefilter on the intakes of your filters or get ones that are not know to have problems with sucking up sand.

Back
Top Bottom