Whisper filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a whisper filter in my 3 gallon with a betta.
Yesterday I added sand to the tank. The filter was working good for a bit, so I turned it of to fix some stuff. After I re turned it on and now it doesn't work. I took everything apart thinking sand got stuck in the motor but it was completely clean.

Any body know what it could possibly be? Or how to fix it.

prime it with tank water - do you know what I mean? scoop some tank water in a cup or something, pour it into the top of the filter.

Is it the internal Whisper filter or the hang on back type? Does the motor make a sound? Plug it in and hold your hand on the motor. Do you feel a vibration or humming? If not, the motor has died. If you can feel the power going through it than take the impeller out and check it. Are all the fan blades still there? If one or more break off it will not move water. You can replace that part. Sand can do an impeller in quickly. You always need to cover the intake with a sponge or knee high stocking when using sand. For the internal type you can cut a piece of sponge and use rubber bands to hold it over the front intake.

Is it the internal Whisper filter or the hang on back type? Does the motor make a sound? Plug it in and hold your hand on the motor. Do you feel a vibration or humming? If not, the motor has died. If you can feel the power going through it than take the impeller out and check it. Are all the fan blades still there? If one or more break off it will not move water. You can replace that part. Sand can do an impeller in quickly. You always need to cover the intake with a sponge or knee high stocking when using sand. For the internal type you can cut a piece of sponge and use rubber bands to hold it over the front intake.

It is the internal filter. There is no noise at all. All the blades are there. It didn't sound like the sand was messing anything up. I thought it usually makes a sound when something is going wrong with the motor.

Sometimes there is a noise but sometimes a wire will burn into inside the motor coil and it never works again. If the impeller will not spin than it is shot. You can sometimes find replacement motors but you could just buy another small filter cheaper. I just got an Azoo HOB from Dr. Fosters and Smith. It is made for small tanks, 5 gallons and under. The flow rate is adjustable too. Cost around $8.

Sometimes there is a noise but sometimes a wire will burn into inside the motor coil and it never works again. If the impeller will not spin than it is shot. You can sometimes find replacement motors but you could just buy another small filter cheaper. I just got an Azoo HOB from Dr. Fosters and Smith. It is made for small tanks, 5 gallons and under. The flow rate is adjustable too. Cost around $8.

Awh man. so the sand did break it? Okay will the Azoo work with sand though?

Do you have the Marineland 3 gallon kit? I have that too and there are quite a disappointing number of cautions about having to be a certain height above the gravel (one difficult to maintain in this kit frankly) and about sand.

Now, that back corner of the tank is sand free, and I happened to stick the little pantyhose sock of crushed coral I need right under the filter in an otherwise bare corner. The nylon or sponge over the intake is a great idea glad to encounter that.
One mistake I made once was running a filter while it was dry. At least I'm told that's why it broke.

Yes, sand will do a filter in quickly. If a large particle got caught in the impeller housing it can jam the motor and cause it to burn out. The sand also scratches the magnet on the impeller and can cause excess strain on the motor burning it out. The motors are not that strong in filters.

You should always use a prefilter on the intake when using sand. I have used pieces of filter padding wrapped around the intake strainer and held in place with rubber bands, sponges that I make a hole in the center of and slide on the intake basket, and knee highs. I find the sponge and filter media work best at keeping sand out of the filter.

This is the Azoo filter I mentioned .Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter It is perfect for small tanks 5 gallons and under. It doesn't have much room for filter media but for a small tank it works fine. I replaced the small sponges that came with it with a bio sponge cut to size. Is working great on my 5 gallon soon to be shrimp tank. I like that you can adjust the outflow. Most tiny filter do not offer that option. I was using a Quietflow 20 filter Aquarium Filtration and Water Quality: Aqueon Quiet Flow Power Filters but the water flow was way too strong and it was not adjustable. I have this one on my 20 long now and it is working fine but not adjustable.

I have bought several filters over the last couple of years from expensive to cheap. I found that the cheaper ones have given me less problems than the more expensive one.

Yes, sand will do a filter in quickly. If a large particle got caught in the impeller housing it can jam the motor and cause it to burn out. The sand also scratches the magnet on the impeller and can cause excess strain on the motor burning it out. The motors are not that strong in filters.

You should always use a prefilter on the intake when using sand. I have used pieces of filter padding wrapped around the intake strainer and held in place with rubber bands, sponges that I make a hole in the center of and slide on the intake basket, and knee highs. I find the sponge and filter media work best at keeping sand out of the filter.

This is the Azoo filter I mentioned .Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter It is perfect for small tanks 5 gallons and under. It doesn't have much room for filter media but for a small tank it works fine. I replaced the small sponges that came with it with a bio sponge cut to size. Is working great on my 5 gallon soon to be shrimp tank. I like that you can adjust the outflow. Most tiny filter do not offer that option. I was using a Quietflow 20 filter Aquarium Filtration and Water Quality: Aqueon Quiet Flow Power Filters but the water flow was way too strong and it was not adjustable. I have this one on my 20 long now and it is working fine but not adjustable.

I have bought several filters over the last couple of years from expensive to cheap. I found that the cheaper ones have given me less problems than the more expensive one.

Okay. Thank you. Well I have 2 year warranty on my whisper filter. If I can get a replacement I'll just use a sponge to cover the the bottom from the sand if not I'll order the Azoo one. It cost 6.99 right. Super cheap. Shipping might be a little more.

I really appreciate the help.

With the sponge you just cover the bottom of the filter right?

Yes, just cover the bottom of the intake pipe. Make sure all the little holes fr water to flow into are covered. You might be able to find the Azoo filter with cheaper shipping from another company like Amazon. I always order from Dr. Fosters and Smith because I have a lot of different animals to care for and can always qualify for free shipping.

Yes, just cover the bottom of the intake pipe. Make sure all the little holes fr water to flow into are covered. You might be able to find the Azoo filter with cheaper shipping from another company like Amazon. I always order from Dr. Fosters and Smith because I have a lot of different animals to care for and can always qualify for free shipping.

Okay. I really like there stuff but I never ordered anything yet

I was able thought to get a replacement. So thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom