White Algea Flakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fish have ich :)(, I know), so I have been doing a 30-50% water change for the past 2 days. After I turn on my filter after changing the water, all these white flakes that coated the inner tubing to the return pipe litter my tank. I just now thought to take a picture, but it's too late. I have been using my fish net and spending about 10min skimming the algea, but it takes forever. Also, I noticed this forming a while ago, but I figured it was part of the "oily film" that is natural in the tanks first few months. Any ideas on how to prevent it, slow it down, or (more preferably) eliminate it all together?

Rinse your filter media in old tank water. Don't change your water so often. Raise your temperature to 87F a couple degrees every hour or so and leave it there until the last signs of ich disappear.

Definately raise the temps and I would leave them up for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Also add extra aeration or lower the water level a bit.

You can keep doing the water changes for the ich and remove the tubing only and rinse it in the old tank water you dispose of and reinstall it. This should go a long way in having the flakes that are in the tube, not land up in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom