White algea ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedex3d

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a planted tank that is about a month old. The numbers are all good & do weekly 10-15% wcs. I have noticed something on the driftwood that appears to be white hairlike algea. Is this normal for a new planted tank, or is it something l need to address??

Do you have any pics?

White fungal growth is pretty common with new driftwood - I suspect that is what this is. But the description of it being hairlike means it could be something else as well.

fort384 said:
Do you have any pics?

White fungal growth is pretty common with new driftwood - I suspect that is what this is. But the description of it being hairlike means it could be something else as well.

Well l guess it is more fuzz like. And it is new driftwood. Was cut up, boiled, and soaked. It was just added to the tank when l started it the 1st of last month. That sounds like what it is. Thank you! Will it eventually dissappear on its own ?

Im away from the house but will add some pictures in the morning

I would say that is pretty common with new drift wood. It should go away after several weeks.

fort384 said:
I would say that is pretty common with new drift wood. It should go away after several weeks.

Great! Thanks! Thought I had done something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom