White blob with purple underneath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseynewton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just purchased this coral.

Is it placed correctly. Should it be white side facing up like I have it or purple side up?

Should be Green Star Polyps. I hope!

Thanks for answering another not smart question!

Attachments

• image-4218495079.jpg
    image-4218495079.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 142
You will want the purple side up. GSP spreads by encrusting whatever it is on or near in the purple stuff, this is actually the coral "skeleton". So you will want the purple up, also think about it now as to what you want covered in GSP. It will cover any rock it can have contact with over time. If you isolate it to a rock out on the sand bed you can control it a little easier as it can be broken off the sand easier than it can a rock. It has been considered by some to be a weed as it grows fast.

kdpuffer said:
You will want the purple side up. GSP spreads by encrusting whatever it is on or near in the purple stuff, this is actually the coral "skeleton". So you will want the purple up, also think about it now as to what you want covered in GSP. It will cover any rock it can have contact with over time. If you isolate it to a rock out on the sand bed you can control it a little easier as it can be broken off the sand easier than it can a rock. It has been considered by some to be a weed as it grows fast.

Thanks so much. Wondering to myself why it's not coming out!

That would be why lmao. Well hopefully once flipped over it will open soon for you. GSP is very nice looking once it is open and flowing in the current.

Here is a picture. Look like it the correct side up. It will probably open when it wants too. It's just being patient.

Attachments

• image-13382148.jpg
    image-13382148.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 126
Alright now this is the other side. I think this side makes more scenes up.

I also see some green. :)

Attachments

• image-2946003569.jpg
    image-2946003569.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 113
The polyps look like GSP but it is usually much more dense as you can see in the picture of mine plus I have only ever seen GSP with a purple crust. May be some other similar species as they are spread out and white crust. Sorry I steered you wrong with the purple.

kdpuffer said:
The polyps look like GSP but it is usually much more dense as you can see in the picture of mine plus I have only ever seen GSP with a purple crust. May be some other similar species as they are spread out and white crust. Sorry I steered you wrong with the purple.

Ya it's cool. We can only try. I take any and all information. Thanks. I'll let you know if this one grown like a weed.

Back
Top Bottom