White fuzzy stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ten gallon tank was set up about a month ago and it has been cycled and the angelfish seem to be doing great. I just noticed today that there are these fuzzy white things all over the sides of the tank and on the heater and decorations. Also noticed some strange white/clear stringy things floating and attaching to the live fern and decor. I scrubbed most of it off the side but I will post a pic of some still left. My first thought was planaria but then I noticed it was not moving around. Just moving in the current.

Attachments

• image-1699950688.jpg
    image-1699950688.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 69
You have angelfish in a 10 gallon tank? :blink: :eek:
The fuzzy stuff should be the least of your concerns...

But anyway, the fuzzy stuff is residue left over from your dechlorinator, or at least that is what I was told.

Yeh I know : ( If I knew what I know now I wouldnt have out them in there. But it must be from the aqua safe? I have also used stress Zyme, ammonia safe, and ph balance in the tank.

Whoa man, to many chemical. Simple is better.

1) ammonia neutralizer - you don't need this, what you want is to cycle your tank so the beneficial bacteria can take care of your ammonia and nitrites.

2) ph buffer - I always so no to this because its hard to keep the ph constant, it doesn't really matter what your ph is, your fish will get use to it. A constant ph is much better then trying to buffer the ph to make it "perfect"

Just use regular old tap water for waterchanges, just use your tetra aqua safe to make it safe for your fish.

So should I do waterchanges with tap water and aqua safe only? Even though the whole tank was set up with distilled?

Yes it's fine to switch from distilled to tap with water changes. Just use the aqua safe. Distilled water is just purified so only the H ions and O ions are present, this is done by taking advantage of the fact that the other impurities in the water have different boiling points (I'm a pre-med student) but anything that is going to be harmful to the fish in tap water is going to be taken care of by the aqua safe.

So should I do waterchanges with tap water and aqua safe only? Even though the whole tank was set up with distilled?

Distilled water alone is bad for an aquarium unless youre adding minerals to it. Distilled water has nothing in it, including the good minerals that the fish/plants need. If its completely distilled water youre using i would start adding a % of tap to your tank SLOWLY and increase it over time. Also stop adding the ph chems SLOWLY also. If your too quick on either of these things your ph will swing badly and your fish could die.

Back
Top Bottom