White gunk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
White gunk is developing all over the bottom of one of my logs. It looks like mold. It's not the stringy white stuff that looks like cotton. The PetsMart lady, who clarified the difference, said it sounded like mold and just in case i should take it out, soak it in diluted bleach water, rinse really well then put it back in.

Any experience with that, anyone?

I did as the PetsMart lady advised and, after rinsing well, put it back in the tank. After doing more research it may have been harmless mold but an indicator of my adding too much pulverized fish food in my tank while doing a fish less cycle. I am not planning on adding lots of plant, so I put in a few moss balls to absorb whatever is floating around. I'd rather they grow then mold.

Could be a mold/fungus from the decaying food. A cycling environment is great for all sorts of things to grow. Rinsing it out probably helped.

I have "white gunk" on all of my air tubes, but hasn't hurt anything. It also hasn't spread to any other items in the tank so probably not the same thing.

I got that on a piece of wood i had in my tank also. I boiled it in hot water for a while, rinsed it off, nothing would get rid of it. It would just keep coming back. finally i gave up and it went away on its on.

Im not sure if bleaching it to much is a good idea casue it might soak it in an when you put your fish in it might kill em.

JacksonJigsaw said:
Im not sure if bleaching it to much is a good idea casue it might soak it in an when you put your fish in it might kill em.

I am assuming that if it's not killing my BBs,that I was able to rinse it well enough. I didn't soak it long. But thanks for the heads up.

I think the white fuzzy stuff happens in "cycling" or newly cycled tanks.

Back
Top Bottom