White patches on black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amanda5150

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve added 1 tablespoon of salt per 3 gallons. Also treated with pimafix and Melafix. He’s acting fine and eating regularly with no white stringy poop. And all the other fish are healthy. Any advice?

Attachments

• EA01C241-62AE-4707-9C1A-1C6400DB3228.jpg
    EA01C241-62AE-4707-9C1A-1C6400DB3228.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 3E76C21E-1F58-4D8F-868F-C16E5F67315B.jpg
    3E76C21E-1F58-4D8F-868F-C16E5F67315B.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 25
I had a bit of a nitrite spike but treated it with prime every 48 hours and stability every 25% water change and now it’s 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 20 nitrate

Please take a read through the "unhealthy fish" sticky and give as much detail as you are able.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/before-posting-about-unhealthy-fish-read-this-32451.html

A few reasons why goldfish might turn white.

- Some goldfish just turn white naturally.
- Infection. Is your fish showing any other symptoms that would indicate an infection.
-Stress. Anything going on in the tank that might be stressing the fish. Could easily be the poor water quality you mentioned.
- Lack of sunlight.
- Low oxygen in the water.

I would also say that there is little evidence that prime does anything to detoxify nitrite. Seachem readily admit that the product wasnt developed to do this, the only evidence they have to support their claim is anecdotal, and they have no idea how their product detoxifies nitrite (if indeed it does). It could very easily be caused by the nitrite and your treatment with salt is considered a good remedy for nitrite poisoning.

What sort of nitrite levels did you see, and how long was this nitrite in the water?

For a couple of weeks it was around 1 to 3 ppm and I did 25% water changes everyday until they dropped to 0 and I would use stress coat between prime for conditioning. I have 2 air wall stones and a water circulation pump pointed towards the surface for movement.. the only signs of stress (if is it stress)ive noticed is a couple of them have been rubbing themselves on the sand..

It’s a planted 125 gallon so I have 2 - 20in led lights that simulates the sun through out the day..

That is very high nitrite and would cause health issues, and 25% water changes wouldn't have brought it down very quickly. A 25% water change would bring 3ppm nitrite down to 2.25ppm for instance which is still a toxic level.

LED lights might simulate sunlight, but they dont give out any UV spectrum. Im not suggesting you add a UV light, that will just irradiate your fish, but a lack of UV might explain what you are seeing

The nitrite is 0 now and have been for 2 weeks and the lights are full spectrum

Full spectrum doesnt include UV. That would kill your fish.

Water quality issues can take weeks between the issue and it showing as symptoms in fish. Just because your water is good now doesnt mean your issues werent caused by what they were living in weeks ago.

Like mentioned, it could just be a natural colour change.

So you don’t think it could be fungal or parasites? Since they’re rubbing them selfs on the sand..

Yes the only fish I haven’t seen do this is my small koi that I’m growing out to go into my pond.. I have 3 black moors and he’s the only one with discoloration.. I’ve seen nature color changes and this is not what it looks like to me.. it’s almost a weird layer on top his skin

Back
Top Bottom