White poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarluva

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got home today and I noticed that my fish ( jack Dempsey / Texas hybrid ) had white poop should I be worried

Attachments

• image-2967801852.jpg
    image-2967801852.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 262
  • image-4166086857.jpg
    image-4166086857.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 226
What are you feeding? Poop should be the same color. White poop could be parasites which would require treatment with either meds or anti-parasitic food. Constipation could also cause this which could be treated with thawed deshelled peas and adding some Epsom salt. Is the fish still eating? Water parameters? New fish and was it quarantined?

I've been feeding them tropical fish flakes and it eats like a maniac. Ph is 7 and temp is at 78. I had what looked like nematodes I think it's because I fed them a rosy red minnow. His was the first time I did

Fish flakes shouldn't normally bring white poop. Live fish can come out as white. I would wait and see what color the next poop you see is.

Yesterday it was the regular red. I fed them the rosy red last week

I don't honestly know how quickly they process food. I've stopped feeding live except what I breed myself now as I'm afraid of a live feeder passing something to the fish. I think it's good news that the regular color is back now... But I'd still be careful and watch it closely for more when you haven't fed it a feeder.

I just went back to disease symptoms to be sure about this. But one of the definite signs of Malawi Bloat is white feces. It can show up before the fish gets puffy. A fish doesn't need to be from lake Malawi to get Bloat. Any fish can get it, but all Cichlids are very susceptible to this disease. It is also HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS between tank mates
Every cichlid with the white feces needs to be removed fast.
To help eliminate the blockage you need to put Epsom's Salt in the water. Don't worry it isn't really salt, it's a Magnesium laxative/diuretic.
Different sites recommend different amounts, but what has worked for me is, 2 Tablespoons for every 5 gallons. Do 50% PWC every day and replace with fresh Epsom's Salt. As soon as possible begin treating with an antibiotic made to specifically treat Bloat. Not one that says it treats a wide range of parasites, fungal infections and bacterial infection.
Make sure it specifies that it treats Bloat. Fallow the directions on the package and keep up with the PWC and Epsom's Salt.
I wish you luck, Bloat can spread fast and be deadly.
If you can, Google Malawi Bloat signs symptom and treatment. It will give you much more detailed information than I can here.

I just got home today and I noticed that my fish ( jack Dempsey / Texas hybrid ) had white poop should I be worried
Here is the picture of a Cichlid in the early stages of Bloat. I hope it helps you decide what to do.
As you can see there isn't any sign of his body swelling yet

Back
Top Bottom