White slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnlucky5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought spider wood and about 3 days later it has white slime on it is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks what is that stuff?

Thanks what is that stuff?

It's a type of fungus released by the wood. That's about as much as I know about it other than its a mess and it's harmless. Some fish/invertebrates will pick at it and eat some. It's just an eyesore to look at.

Caleb

Whenever I get some sort of white boogers on alder cones, dwarf lily bulb, driftwood, etc. I remove the item and use a plain paper towel wetted with a bit of siphoned tank water to gently wipe away the yuck. Comes off easily, no harm done.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had some spider wood in my tank and it had the slim to! It's harmless! My bristle nose pleco and ottos ate it off in a few weeks! It is an eyesore so I was happy when it was gone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does it look like this, it is indeed harmless even if it's not this, just the wood, but yesssss as Caleb Sayyid you can boil it, you probably want to anyways if you don't like the tannin look

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1446502609307.jpg
    1446502609307.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 55
Does it look like this, it is indeed harmless even if it's not this, just the wood, but yesssss as Caleb Sayyid you can boil it, you probably want to anyways if you don't like the tannin look

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got 2 pieces that's been submerged for months and still leaches the stuff.

I finally put them in my fire belly toad tank so I'd stop seeing the fuzz all the time.

Both were boiled 10+ hours.

Caleb

I re boiled mine and it hasn't grown back, i paid 40 bucks for that drift wood piece (has a slate stand etc etc), this hobby isn't cheap lol either that or im getting ripped off lol

I re boiled mine and it hasn't grown back, i paid 40 bucks for that drift wood piece (has a slate stand etc etc), this hobby isn't cheap lol either that or im getting ripped off lol

If you read up on wood and which types are tank safe you can go hunting for your own.

I took this piece from the woods near my house:

http://imgur.com/cEhOisF

Caleb

That's a nice piece, i didnt know which i could use so i bought pre bled already mounted pieces

Back
Top Bottom