White spider web like fluffy on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somefinfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed a light layer of spider web like algae on the front of my tank does any1 kno anything I can do or what it is?cheers

I am in math right now (hehehehehe!!! :D), but i have a 20 gallon fishless cycling tank at home. (I finished everything and my teacher let me get on a laptop, I am in the back of the room so no one can see me). No joke, I found that stuff on my tank too! Does it look just like brown algae, just clear? Mine has bubbles trapped in it.

Some is a little darker but mainly white but I can see some bubbles in it!how long has urs had it?

If it is at the water level it's not algae but if its under water I have never heard of that before.

Does it look like this?

Attachments

• image-1880491527.jpg
    image-1880491527.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 175
Mines not really as bad as that I've tried taking pictures but you can't see it as its to faint!!

I've noticed a light layer of spider web like algae on the front of my tank does any1 kno anything I can do or what it is?cheers

Some more info might help: how long has the tank been set up? Is it still cycling? Does it have fish? What's your water change schedule? Did you recently add driftwood to the tank? How often do you feed? Do you vacuum the bottom regularly? Is the moldy stuff on the substrate or on the glass or elsewhere?

It could be a number of things. It might be uneaten food that has turned moldy, but without more info on the tank it's hard to say.

Ha! finally got the pic. My tank has been cycling for about 2 weeks, it has no driftwood, is a 20H and there are no fish in it, in fact there hasnt been any flora or fauna until this came along.

Attachments

• algae.jpeg
    algae.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 810
I have that too, I was told by someone who has been keeping aquariums for 50 years it is part of new tank syndrome and should disappear after a tank cycles. I noticed mine very suddenly and it doesn't seem to take over the tank. I'll follow you and let you know if mine disappears or vice versa

It's normal and it's not algae. It's simply residue left over from evaporating water. It is caused by the dechlorinater you put in your water.

It's normal and it's not algae. It's simply residue left over from evaporating water. It is caused by the dechlorinater you put in your water.

Nice 1 it doesn't seem like its getting any worse so il just keep n eye on it,cheers

Back
Top Bottom