White spot advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoppershaun

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
I've just noticed that my 5 harelequin rasboras have got little white spot all over them, so I'm guessing its white spot. None of the other fish have any signs of it, just the rasboras so I'm guessing they caught it from the LFS where I bought them. Should I use medication to treat it? I've read that I should raise the temperature, it's now at 85-86 degrees. I'd rather not have to use medication because I've heard that it killls the nitrifying bacteria and I don't want to have to go through a cycle again. Is it just a matter of time before I see visible signs on my other fish?
Thanks in advance

Pump the temperature to over 86F. Leave it that way for two weeks after the last spots are gone. You will want to make sure you have plenty of surface agitation as warm water holds less O2 than cooler water.

Though, I believe you are correct in assuming that your fish recieved the disease from the shop, I, however, do not fully beleive that it is white spot. White spot is far less common then many people think. I have been housing fish for 8 years and have only had one case of actual white spot, in which case the fish died within 2 weeks. What is more common is the rashy looking disease, Ick. Ick has the same visual effect of white spot except that white spot is in fact killing your fish from the inside out, while Ick only eats at the surface. A tell tale sign that exists, but is not also evident, is with Ick the fish often rubs against ruff surfaces as it would with a parasite. In the case of white spot the fish avoids almost any surfaces because it may scrape large parts of its nearly dead skin off.

I've never seen any of the fish rubbing themselves against anything. One of the batch did die a few days after i got it home, but i just put it down to the fish not acclimitising properly. One of the remaining ones i think may not last long, it stomach is shrunken and it doesnt shoal with the rest of them very often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom