White spot help!!! ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labrakitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a school of cardinal tetras that I saw had white spot, so I put them in my hospital tank with Aquacare External Parasite medication, and the 3 remaining :( don't have any spots left and seem ok. I couldn't see any spots on any of the other fish in the main tank so i didn't treat it with medication (because I dont know if will hurt hte bacteria).

Today I suddenly saw one of my delphax corys not able to swim properly, and with about 3 white spots on it. I moved it to the hospital tank with the tetras and but its looks very sick. :cry: I've turned the temperature up to 26 degrees in both the tanks.

I am going to the aquarium tomorrow to buy some protozin (becuase it sounds more reliable and I know I can get it) Is Protozin safe to use in a tank without killing hte bacteria? I don't want to have to cycle the tank again!!! 8O

Thankyou very much!!! Please reply quickly!

For ich, it is probably pointless to separate out fish for treatment. By far the best method of treatment is the heat method. Medications can only kill it for a tiny percentage of it's life cycle while heat affects all stages. Raise your tanks temps to 88F or in your case 31 Celcius and leave it there until it has been 2 weeks since you saw the last white spot.

Raise temps a couple degrees F each 10-12 hours until you get to that 88F. (1 degree C each 10-12 should work but we Americans are not real good with Celcius.)

I have been thru this twice now and while salt and meds are 50/50 or less, the heat treatment works wonders.

Read the sticky atop the unhealthty fish forum and search ich to get more info from the web.

I agree with Jman. Ich is only susceptible to meds during one stage of it's life, and heat seems to be the best treatment. Im on the tail end of this right now. All of your fish are probably infected, whether they're showing symptoms or not yet, so you'll want to treat your entire population together.

I agree with both posters above me, no reason to quarantine anyone since your main tank is infected. I successfully removed Ich using heat alone, I don't see any need to use medications since this works great.

Many members, myself included, have had success treating ich with the heat method only. Meds can stress the fish and harm the beneficial bacteria in the tank. QT is pointless as ich will attack all the fish in the tank unless treated IMO.

Back
Top Bottom