White spot on betta fish eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfmoonLover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
There is a white spot on one of my halfmoon betta fish's eyes! To be honest, I haven't been the best betta keeper lately:(, so I washed out 100% of the tank including the gravel(no soap:)), and changed out the filter. My betta also spends most of his time lying on the bottom of the tank, and when he comes up to eat, he doesn't seem to see the food right in front of his face, and ends up eating nothing. I think he might have been blinded by the condition of the water:bawl:

Please help!

Sorry,

After observing some more, he has a white spot on each eye. They are flat, and seem to be on top of his corneas, covering his pupils.

Thanks for the link, but it didn't work:(

Not sure what is going on with the link. Tried another one below.

http://www.fishnet.org/sick-fish-chart.htm

Have you tested the water chemistry for ammonia and ph?

If the water is fine, you could try a fungal cure and if no good onto anti-bacterials. Imo make sure the tank is stable and still cycled first as any meds might shock the tank bacteria.

Last edited:
Yes thank you so much! I looked at your link, and after a few more minutes researching I think they are cataracts. I will look into getting anti-fungal medicines. Any recommended brands?

P.S. I tried feeding him bloodworms today, hoping that maybe he'd be able to smell them out. I was unsuccessful, but fortunately I think he can see a little bit because he moved away when I put the chopstick with the food too close to his face.

He swims around in energetic bursts when touched, but other than that that's the only time he moves. I'm not sure if he has enough energy to survive long enough to heal up, though ;(.

Some people on other sites told me that I should not use anti-fungal medicines on my fish, because exposing him to more toxins would just poison him further. Do you think I should just end his suffering now?:cry:

Back
Top Bottom