White spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beefsteaks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people,
After much bad luck iv had with setting up my tank an purchasing some new fish 2weeks ago I have now noticed that 3 of my fish have white spot.... ( small white lumps on head, flank and fins ) although they aren't showing any whit spot and pyshical signs my yellow lab an dolphin heads are hanging around my out flows on filters.
I have some fish which are showing no signs or acting strange and I would like to know that if I remove them will they be carriers or free from the parasite? So I can quarantine my infected fish?

I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble!!!!
First off, can we have some more info? Tank size- stock- filter- parameters? Pics if possible?

If ONE fish has white spots, the entire tank must be treated.
I just recently got over my first case of ICH.

Do you know what method you're going to use?

Hi jerseygirl,
Uhm yea, 70 litre tank with two internal fluval U2 filters, with x2 yellow labs x2 dolphin heads x2 yellow tail blue azri all no bigger than 2inches x4 baby demonsi ( bit smaller than 2 pence peice ) had that all up n running for 14 weeks everything fine all levels an all fish spot on! Stupidly brought x2 more cichlids (white with orange flanks, sorry cant remember name lol) and x3 baby cookie catfish which u can see in my profile photos couple weekends ago and all hell broke loose! Nitrites an nitrates through the roof but ammonia fine, an now have noticed white spot??? After many water changes to try an cure nitrite an nitrate levels this has happened :-( :-( :-( I have got a 4ft tank set up an in cycle (5days) and am due to put the catfish in that iv rescued from current tank knowing that they will be fine in there but iv looked into what choices I got but I don't know what is the quickest route to take?
Any help much appreciated
Thank you in advance

I'm trying to piece your posts together so forgive me.

First thing you need to do is get those numbers down, but I'd like to know what they are, you stated through the roof but actual numbers would help. Nitrites would concern me more then nitrAtes. Also I'm going to assume this tank is cycled.

With that said, all your fish have white spot/ich?

Now even if they don't all "show" you'll need to start some sort of treatment method, salt, heat, salt and heat. Salt is a great debate.

Rather then type all of this out, here's a really good read about it and options on treating it.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Also it's 18 gallon US? That seems like a lot of Cichlids in such a small tank.

Last edited:
Hey im sorry to hear your having problems. =\ i cant say iv ever had your problem but With that small of a tank your way over stocked and majorly under filtered. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the high trites and trates. I had just three yellow labs in a 20g (76 l) tank with a penguin 350 and 30% weekly WCs but even with just the three of them I had major problems keeping my levels down. Id deff suggest getting a bigger tank for future prevention of problems.

Back
Top Bottom