White Spots on Aquarium Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UDCatFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Small white, opaque dots have recently appeared on my aquarium glass. They are fuzzy looking and wipe off easily. My fish are fine and so far none of it is growing on my plants. Is there such a thing as white algae? I cleaned the glass once, but it appears to be growing back. My UDC's have been eating it and they are fine. Anyone have any ideas what I is and how to get rid of it?

reply to white spots on glass

I do not have any snails nor do I have any live plants. Here is a pic of what it looked like before I cleaned it the first time. This is not a very clear pic, sorry001.jpg

I do not have any snails nor do I have any live plants. Here is a pic of what it looked like before I cleaned it the first time. This is not a very clear pic, sorryView attachment 274435

I am gonna hazard a guess that it's algae. How long are your lights on daily?
What light fixture do you have?

Could be uneaten food turned fungus

If it were on the substrate I would agree with you. That wouldn't stick to glass like that though.

white spots

Thanks to all who responded. :thanks: I have a Fluval ECO Bright Led bar. I have the white lights on about 10 hours a day ( not full power ) and the blue lights on about one hour before I turn them off completely for the night. Is there such a thing as white algae?

Thanks to all who responded. :thanks: I have a Fluval ECO Bright Led bar. I have the white lights on about 10 hours a day ( not full power ) and the blue lights on about one hour before I turn them off completely for the night. Is there such a thing as white algae?

I've had algae that appeared to be white until I ignored it for a bit then it ended up turning grey.

I would suggest dropping the lighting down to 6 hours daily and see if it keeps growing.

re: white spots

Thanks so much for the advice. What you say makes sense and I will give it a try. (y)

Back
Top Bottom