White spots on cardinal tetras fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilkes

Aquarium Advice Freak
As the name suggests just noticed the tetra have small white dots on their fins any idea what this is? Kept fish for years and never had any problems with illness (touch wood) any help appreciated as I don't want this to spread to the tank mates.

If it looks like salt, then it's most likely ich. Do you have a photo?

If it IS ich, then it's too late to isolate the fish. You must treat the entire tank for ich.

Raise the heat to 86 F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

The fish were added yesterday and have been removed. Temperature is up and done a WC. I knew I shouldn't have got anything from that LFS

I would still watch that tank carefully to see if the ich has passed to any other fish. It's pretty quick.

You can't necessarily blame the lfs for fish having ich. You can blame them for selling them and blame yourself for buying them, but almost every lfs has at least one fish with ich.

LyndaB said:
I would still watch that tank carefully to see if the ich has passed to any other fish. It's pretty quick.

You can't necessarily blame the lfs for fish having ich. You can blame them for selling them and blame yourself for buying them, but almost every lfs has at least one fish with ich.

Nah I completely agree only went there on the off chance my own fault. Hopefully I've nipped it in the bud before it has had chance to spread. I will be watching very closely

At least, if you DO spot it, and I hope you don't, you can take immediate steps.

Yeah I'm just glad I spotted the tetras tonight. I'll keep the temperature high anyway and do a small WC again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice much appreciated

White Spots

As the name suggests just noticed the tetra have small white dots on their fins any idea what this is? Kept fish for years and never had any problems with illness (touch wood) any help appreciated as I don't want this to spread to the tank mates.

Hello W...

If the white spots resemble tiny grains of salt, you should be concerned. But, if you catch the Ich parasite in time, a little heat and lots of pure, treated water will very likely take care of the problem.

For the next few weeks, take especially good care of your tank. Raise the water temperature to between 80 and 82 degrees and begin an aggressive water change routine by removing and replacing half the tank water every three to five days. Make an effort to carefully vacuum the substrate where you can. Parasites will live in the gravel as well as float around in the water.

Keep the lights off in the tank and lower in the room if possible. The Ich parasites locate a host by sight.

Salt is needed, but too much will hurt your live plants. So, use a little more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt, Kosher salt or commercial canning salt in every 5 gallons of your new, treated tap water. It will calm your fish and boost their immune system.

If you don't use high heat or dose a lot of salt, you can follow this routine for several weeks if necessary to make sure the parasites are no longer a problem.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

Thanks for your help also B a lot to keep in mind there. Fingers crossed

Why does a fish flick? Is that a symptom of ich or could that be because of a large WC?

The ich makes they itchy...... so flicking like that is their way of scratching. Some fish, like my featherfin cat, do it just because they do it, not because they are ill. It's usually your first sign that there may be an issue in your tank.

Yeah it's not looking good to be honest one of my bristlenoses didn't make it. Think I may have an empty tank by the end of the weekend

Back
Top Bottom