White strings on live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I got my live rock I noticed these white strings, I thought if they were something living that they were dead. They don't move. But now I noticed my "dead" rock has them too! The "dead" rock came out of my fw tank, the white things are smaller on that rock, but they seem to be all over it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400870168.052023.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400870198.755906.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400870237.133922.jpg

I also have some small clusters of white fuzz. They kind of look like feather dusters, as some have stems, but looking at pictures of feather dusters there heads don't look like heads haha.

look like dead feather duster stems you can use a tooth brush to clean them off
best doing this in a bucket with old tank water not in tank
3rd pict I see feather dusters on the rock

So are you sure they'd be dead? Could I leave them just incase or will that cause problems?

Okay, I don't think all of them are feather duster stems though there's some that are thicker looking and longer (which could be feather duster stems), but there's some that are almost like hair and it's on all my rock even the stuff I'm 100% sure was completely dead, is there a type of algae that grows white?

some could be spaghetti worm/spinoid worm tubes also all harmless but look terrible when the get over whelmed also when they get in sub-straight its horrable

Okay. I haven't seen any hitch hikers at all from the rock. Which kind of disappointed me. I was really hoping I'd be able to get something moving in the tank :p

My boyfriend thinks I'm already crazy, I just sit and watch an empty tank, I'm pretty sure I'm never leaving the house once there's actually something in it.

trust me I know my wife and daughter think I'm nuts I can sit in front of tanks for hours, it's better than tv no re runs :D

Back
Top Bottom