Who Is Eating My Fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornfedfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29gal tank set up with a male betta, 2 lyre tail mollies, a pictus cat, and a upside down catfish (or dwarf pleco). I purchased 2 neon tetras and 3 sunburst platys. Overnight the neons and one of the platys were gone. I have since moved the platys to another tank but I need to figure out who the culprit was because I plan on getting more platys and neons and I don't want this to happen again.

There were no remains found. The fish were there when I went to bed and gone when I woke up. They did not jump out and nothing got in from the outside. I was fairly certain that there wasn't any compatibility issues but I guess I was wrong.

It is most likely that they both died in the night and were sucked up in the filter, or just drifted somewhere that you can't see them. I can't imagine anyone in the tank eating them until nothing remained although I have never owned either of those cats...I guess it's possilbe. A Neon dying is nothing out of the ordinary. They would probably have a much better chance of survival in a school of 6-8 where they could feel more secure.

I agree with rich311k, a pictus will eat anything that it can swallow, I would take him back to the LFS or put him in another tank of fish that he couldn't eat

I would suspect the pictus cat. When I was 13, I had a pictus cat that just about cleaned out my tank. It ate neons and zebra danios with gusto. Afterwards he always a very rotund tummy. I'm having a bit a trouble myself with two syn. angelicus LOL.

The key to S. angelicus is to keep 1, or keep 6 (IF you have a large enough tank, and the spare cash for 4 more.) Beautiful cats, and one of the most aggressive Syno's there are.

The pictus was my guess too. I checked the filter and didn't find anything that could have been remains. The pictus is approximately 4.5" and they could have fit in it's mouth. I have another tank which I will be keeping the smaller fish in from now on.

i have the same problem with my columbian sharks and mollies, i have lost two mollies, but the other mollies had babies, so now i am even again....lol

i am with the concensus .. the pictus catfish will try to eat anything it sees as potential food ... and they are TOUGH ... tough enough to survive in a mbuna cichlid tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom