Who should I move to my 10 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirwin86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, newbie here. Sorry for the looooong post...

I'm looking for suggestions on which of my fish I should move to my 10g tank for now. I'll list out my tank specs, who's in them and what I'm hoping to accomplish.

Tank 1
20g long, aquaclear 30 filter, heated to 78-80, 60 gal adjustable air pump split with tank #2. 25% planted including floating hornwort, bamboo, java moss and several other types of live and fake plants and decor.

Fish
5 adult half black fancy guppies, 1 male 4 female (I have another male but he's been separated to heal)
6 adult panda platies, 1 male 5 female

15-8 1-5wk old panda fry
30-40 1wk old guppy fry

3 ghost shrimp

Tank 2
20g long, aquaclear 30 filter, heated to 78-80, 60 gal adjustable air pump split with tank #1. 15% planted including floating and planted hornwort, java fern and other live and fake plants and decor.

Fish
1 male veiltail betta (very mellow dude)
1 adult half black fancy male guppie (healing, fought other male guppy a lot)
6 adult neon tetra sexs unknown
8 adult yellow tiger endlers 4 male 4 female

5-6 endler fry 1-5wk old
3-5 panda fry (momma had been separated to heal, shes back in tank #1 now)

4 ghost shrimp

Water changes/tank cleanings happen every Wednesday and Saturday, 25% water changes, more if needed.

So here's the story. I started out with the betta, then the platies in a 10g tank about 4-5 months ago, my first aquarium. My husband got the tetras a couple weeks later and I needed more space so a buddy of ours sold me his 2 20g set ups. He then purchased the fancy show guppies for me to breed About 2 months ago. I then found the yellow tiger endlers at my local co-op.

So I'm not a huge fan of the tetras, or guppies. I have to keep the guppies for a while. my friend spent a lot of money on them but I can sell/trade my local co-op for them so I dont mind keeping them for now. But ****, they just started having their first batches of fry and good god there's a lot of them! I originally planned to breed in the community tank and let it be survival of the fittest for now to keep the numbers down but i didnt expect to have as many guppies survive right off the bat. My endlers don't have nearly as many survivors but my guess was the betta is eating them?

Anyways, I realize I'm overstocked (part of the reason I change the water so often) so I started cycling the old 10g so I can move a few fish to lighten the stress load on the fish and filters. (my goal is to upgrade to a 55+g tank and keep the 20g tanks going for fry in 6 months to a year)

My local co-op has agreed to buy most of my fish when they get to a half inch long. I'm most interested in breeding the platies, endlers and guppies.

With all that said, who would you move to the 10g tank for now?

A few options I've come up with are:
-Move the fry
-Move the betta and tetras to the 10g for my son's room (they're his favorite) and move half the platies in with endlers
-Sell/trade/give away the tetras for the tank space
-put excess guppy fry and betta in the 10g so the betta can eat them
-use the 10g as a hospital tank

What else might be suggested? Remember I'm new, any suggestions or info would be greatly apprectiated! Thanks so much!

I'm also new, but I wanted to reply to bump your question so the experts might see and help you out.

I too have a tank full of fry and plan to do survival of the fittest. Mostly because I don't have room for 40 long fin danios. If I thought I could catch my ghost shrimp fry I would remove them because let's face it, I need more scavengers.

I vote you move the beta in to the ten gal for some peace for him and feed him the guppy fry, what ever lives you keep/trade (am I horrible for saying that). But I'm not sure how much that will help your tank problems. Maybe an other 5-10 gal tank? For your sons room with the tetras an some shrimp and a snail? Assuming you have the room.

I say to move the betta to the 10g. They really appreciate being alone from what I have seen. I actually have split my 10g in half to keep 2 bettas.

Back
Top Bottom