Why are my cories dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odenata

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All.

I've lost three cories over the last few months - two just recently, and I have no idea why.

The first cory died back in march, after I upgraded tanks. I figured it was due to moving tanks.

Everything was fine again until today, when I went to change and clean the tank and found part of a dead cory, and one completely missing. I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to the tank for the last two weeks (maybe three?), because I've been really busy. Just fed them and that's it. (I usually do weekly water changes, but went longer this time.)

However, the water parameters were fine (0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 5ppm nitrates). It's a 20 gallon long, and I have two filters on it, an Aquaclear 20 Power Filter and an Aquaclear 30 Power Filter. I have 5 raspbora hets, 1 dwarf gourami, and now only 3 cories. :( None of the remaining fish look sick, and no fish other than the cories have died.

What killed my poor little cories?

odenata said:
Hi All.

I've lost three cories over the last few months - two just recently, and I have no idea why.

The first cory died back in march, after I upgraded tanks. I figured it was due to moving tanks.

Everything was fine again until today, when I went to change and clean the tank and found part of a dead cory, and one completely missing. I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to the tank for the last two weeks (maybe three?), because I've been really busy. Just fed them and that's it. (I usually do weekly water changes, but went longer this time.)

However, the water parameters were fine (0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 5ppm nitrates). It's a 20 gallon long, and I have two filters on it, an Aquaclear 20 Power Filter and an Aquaclear 30 Power Filter. I have 5 raspbora hets, 1 dwarf gourami, and now only 3 cories. :( None of the remaining fish look sick, and no fish other than the cories have died.

What killed my poor little cories?

What size tank is it? I don't see anything wrong with the parameters. What's the pH and temperature?

What size tank is it? I don't see anything wrong with the parameters. What's the pH and temperature?

20 gallon long, 76-78 degrees. I haven't tested pH in awhile, because it's been very consistently at about 7.2 pH. Since I just did a large water change, should I wait a while before testing it?

Back
Top Bottom