Why are my guppies sitting in corners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zac15

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my aquarium my guppies just sit and stare at a corner at the store they are swimming around happiky and when i brought them home they are not even chasing each other

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Test your water ASAP. Is this is a new tank? Anytime my fish act off, I do a water change. I would change at least 30 to 50% as a just in case.

Read the sticky at the top of the FW fish illness section. Please post the answers here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32451

You may want to ask this in the FW unhealthy fish section.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please do remember that many guppies for sale these days are from poor/unhealthy stock. I've had so many guppies die within days or weeks that I finally gave up on them. The same happened with my endlers. Guppies are, sadly, not the hardy, tough fish they used to be.

How long have you had them? My guppies did that when I moved them from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon. They were super freaked out. It took a day or two for them to get to used to their new surroundings, but eventually they adjusted and they are fine now, all over the tank. Depending on how new they are, maybe they just need time to adjust? Just a thought.

Do you have anything that would scare them? an air pump vibrating? Fish can get scared by things that rattle against the tank, ever been swimming? Notice how loud things are underwater? you know what I mean. Check you water quality and inspect the fish, and if nothing is found, check your room or where ever they are for something that is loud and or scaring them.

They fit all the symptoms of ammonia poisoning

Your Guppies

In my aquarium my guppies just sit and stare at a corner at the store they are swimming around happiky and when i brought them home they are not even chasing each other

Hello zac...

Livebearing fish need a heavily planted surface to feel secure. This is why you should plant the tank well in advance of introducing the fish. Guppies are flat backed fish and live a good part of the time near the surface. So, get as many individual stems of Hornwort and Anacharis as possible. Just drop the stems into the tank. This provides a food supplement and hiding areas.

Keep the tank water free of dissolved fish wastes by working up to the point you're removing and replacing half the water every week.

B

My guppy did this for about 3 or 4 days before becoming comfortable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They fit all the symptoms of ammonia poisoning

And how do you know this? Did you do an ammonia check?
Fish in a tank can be easily stressed/spooked. Water quality can also be an issue, overfeeding and not frequently changing water can be a cause.

Back
Top Bottom