Why did i buy petsmart fish again???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Johny said:
Sad thing is Petsmart happens to be the *best choice for me around here. There are 2 lfs around, but one treats you awful and the other doesn't keep their fish well. Last time we stopped in they had about 30 figure eight putters in a very small space. Half of them were puffed up and most of them had damaged fins. Then there is a PETCO and Walmart. I really wish I had a good lfs around. Its sad when petsmart is my best option.

Awww man that stinks :(( but As Long as u get good fish ....

Yeah in the end its really not a big deal. I don't like supporting stores that don't keep their fish well and I'm ambivalent about big box stores. I think what you said actually holds a lot of truth. I am just happy I can have an aquarium and get the fish I want and the things I need.

I have yet to order anything online. I always worry a bit about both fish and equipment with ordering online. Fish: I would like to actually see it before I buy it. Equipment: What if its not what I actually wanted or thought it would be?

Yeah in the end its really not a big deal. I don't like supporting stores that don't keep their fish well and I'm ambivalent about big box stores. I think what you said actually holds a lot of truth. I am just happy I can have an aquarium and get the fish I want and the things I need.

I have yet to order anything online. I always worry a bit about both fish and equipment with ordering online. Fish: I would like to actually see it before I buy it. Equipment: What if its not what I actually wanted or thought it would be?

I'm totally with you on the ordering fish online... I mean just because its a certain species does mean its automatically what you want...I'm kinda picky though. LOL :cool:

Sorry to hear about the Neons and your Molly. :(

I bought 9 Neons from Petco about 8 months ago. I lost 1 within a week, ("decor death"... so that was my fault). Then I had a huge Ich outbreak and almost lost a few fish, (the Neons were all I added, so I knew it came from them). Before I knew it, I was down to 6. Now I'm down to 4 because I lost 2 this month, (and they are nowhere to be found!). The Neons are still in my 10g w/ my Betta, so my guess is the Betta ate the 2 that went missing. I also have 1 that has, what looks like, tumors on his lip and body. He still acts fine, but he looks horrible. :(

Anyway, I've decided that after my last 4 are gone, I'm done w/ Neons. They're pretty, and are active little buggers, but I'm not having much luck w/ them. The Silver Tip Tetras that I added to my 55g a few months are doing great though, (along w/ the Harlequin Rasboras).

IMO though, I think a lot of the fishes that the chain LFS's get are overbred and that's why so many people have problems. It's really hit or miss. I've had good luck w/ centerpiece fishes from Petco, but livebearers and schooling fishes are another story.

I hope you have better luck w/ your next batch of fish!

IMO though, I think a lot of the fishes that the chain LFS's get are overbred and that's why so many people have problems. It's really hit or miss. I've had good luck w/ centerpiece fishes from Petco, but livebearers and schooling fishes are another story.

Funny - I have read similar thoughts several times, but it never occurred to me as I read this thread. I know what we do to fish (transporting, changing environments, etc. ) isn't easy on them, but I kinda forgot that they may just not be that hardy from all the inbreeding/overbreeding.

McLumpy said:
Sorry to hear about the Neons and your Molly. :(

I bought 9 Neons from Petco about 8 months ago. I lost 1 within a week, ("decor death"... so that was my fault). Then I had a huge Ich outbreak and almost lost a few fish, (the Neons were all I added, so I knew it came from them). Before I knew it, I was down to 6. Now I'm down to 4 because I lost 2 this month, (and they are nowhere to be found!). The Neons are still in my 10g w/ my Betta, so my guess is the Betta ate the 2 that went missing. I also have 1 that has, what looks like, tumors on his lip and body. He still acts fine, but he looks horrible. :(

Anyway, I've decided that after my last 4 are gone, I'm done w/ Neons. They're pretty, and are active little buggers, but I'm not having much luck w/ them. The Silver Tip Tetras that I added to my 55g a few months are doing great though, (along w/ the Harlequin Rasboras).

I hope you have better luck w/ your next batch of fish!

Thanks :) I don't know what the deal was but I'm so paranoid out getting fish at any kind of pet store now. Lol

Sorry to hear about your fish as well... I think I killed one with a net :(( that is way worse than the decor killing them... I'm a murderer :((

I bought 12 found 4 dead and killed one... Returned the rest bc I didn't want them to die or continue spreading disease if there was one. I did get an angelfish too but I kept him :)

I was thinking about adding neons to my Betta tank as well but I'm with u l. I think I'm done with neons -humf--

Agreed on the hit an miss so I'd rather spend a little more at my trusted Lfs and have peace of mind that they are ok....

Johny said:
Funny - I have read similar thoughts several times, but it never occurred to me as I read this thread. I know what we do to fish (transporting, changing environments, etc. ) isn't easy on them, but I kinda forgot that they may just not be that hardy from all the inbreeding/overbreeding.

I also think their acclimating processes are not so great and they sale fish soon after... I think the added stress is really rough on the fishies

Flossie said:
I also think their acclimating processes are not so great and they sale fish soon after... I think the added stress is really rough on the fishies

Actually their acclimating process at my Petsmart was pretty thought out. We took temps each row of boxes. Did gradual light acclimation. Floated the bags for temp equalization. Then poured most of the dirty water out before putting them in.

There are huge debates over float and dump or drip acclimation ( which we used to do with all our Neons and sensitive fish). We did drip acclimation , but the numbers proved float and dump worked as well or better on our large scale.

Getting the fish out of the dirty water and onto clean fast worked best. After 20 mins of temp equalization.

We also tested our water. Our Cichlids bred every chance they got. We had baby Firemouths, baby Africans, Convict fry ( no challenge there LOL ) etc.

Not all stores do as well of course. But for a big chain my particular store did ok. If the employees follow all the procedures the fish are mostly just fine. Or as fine as any store that doesn't quarantine. VERY few LFS do quarantine. It makes the fish more expensive.

YMMV. Buy where you want, but blanket statements aren't always warranted.

I hated our Betta procedures. But won't get into that.

My LFS does actually quarantine fish after they are shipped to them. It does indeed raise the price, but I get healthier fish from there. I have never had one of their fish die spontaneously.
Another thing I have learned matters is whether or not indiviual stores put much cover (ie. plants and other decor) into their tanks. It makes it harder for the employees to catch the fish, but it helps with the stress levels.
Now, I buy chain store fish only from tanks with cover and no dead fishies.

To tell u the truth u should find some ich disease remedy/treatment. The spot might have been ich. Ich spreads fast. U just might have gotten a bad batch, or the ich killed them. Ich spreads fast and is a very effective fish killer. And for some reason, I too have had a rough time with neon tetras. AND, my local walmart sadly takes better care for the fish they have than my local petco and petsmart!!!!

Sorry if u feel I made a blanket statement and I don't know what YMMV is lol

I'm sure some PetSmarts and chain stores are ok but IME for the most part they are not...

absolutangel04 said:
My LFS does actually quarantine fish after they are shipped to them. It does indeed raise the price, but I get healthier fish from there. I have never had one of their fish die spontaneously.
Another thing I have learned matters is whether or not indiviual stores put much cover (ie. plants and other decor) into their tanks. It makes it harder for the employees to catch the fish, but it helps with the stress levels.
Now, I buy chain store fish only from tanks with cover and no dead fishies.

That's a good thought on the decor :)

I got a couple GF and an Angel from them and a pleco that made it through a lot but I've had neons die the next day. Mouth fungus on guppies the next day... Flames and neons get ich within a week or two ...

mysteryman said:
To tell u the truth u should find some ich disease remedy/treatment. The spot might have been ich. Ich spreads fast. U just might have gotten a bad batch, or the ich killed them. Ich spreads fast and is a very effective fish killer. And for some reason, I too have had a rough time with neon tetras. AND, my local walmart sadly takes better care for the fish they have than my local petco and petsmart!!!!

I wondered if it was ich. I added some salt and I'm just keeping an eye on the rest of the fish for now. None of the others had spots just one had one spot and that was it. I'm bit seeing any signs in any other fish cept a zebra danios with a with pimple on his lip but I have a zebra danio in another tank with the exact same thing...

Flossie said:

Sorry if u feel I made a blanket statement and I don't know what YMMV is lol

I'm sure some PetSmarts and chain stores are ok but IME for the most part they are not...

YMMV= your mileage may vary

stores are only as good as their employees. Yes, many chain store employees do NOT have training or experience. But not all :)

U guys are lucky. I think I counted 5 or 6 dead mollies one day just floating in their tank. That's the PetSmart I consider to have "good" fish. Sure they can help getting a bad batch but they can at least keep the dead fish outta the tanks ...

I obviously can't be to hard on PetSmart seeing I've bought fish here several times...

I don't think I've ever seen a dead fish at mine. Not saying they're not just good at getting them out right away after they die. But still

The one we go to is hit and miss. First time we went in the only dead fish were comet gold fish (but there were about 1,000,000 of them in one tank, they could have died just from collisions with other fish). But some of the other times we have stopped by they weren't as clean and dead fish free. For right now I have just decided that I will buy the fish I want, and not worry too much about the stores. None of the ones close to me are stellar all the time.

Back
Top Bottom