Why did my angelfish die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I just completed a 5 week long fishless cycle and went out and got 4 Angels. Within 2 days, two of them have died. I just tested my water and got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low nitrates. What could have caused the fish to die so quickly?

Okay, I bought them at PetSmart, but that's only because I haven't found a good LFS yet in my area (Tampa).

Were they just bad fish or could it be something else? Seems strange for them to die so quickly when the water seems fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

all my fish are petsmart fish... even my breeding angels.

I think stress is the culprit here.

how big is the tank?

I let the bag sit in the tank for about 20 minutes (unopened). Then, I opened the bag and poured a half cup of the tank's water in and let it sit for another 20 minutes. Then I drained the bag water out and put the fish in the tank.

A better acclimation procedure would be to temp. acclimate by floating the bag for 10mins. and then releasing the animal into a small clean container or bucket. Then test the pH, temperature, and most importantly conductivity. If you can get your hands on a conductivity meter all the better. You want both tank water parameters to be reasonably similar before adding to your main tank. Drip acclimate for 30-45mins, no more than 90mins is necessary unless you purchase rather sensitive species. I would have a very fast drip to a pinched full stream of water. You should be using a qt ;)

I dont think it was your acclimation, Ive had to transfer the fish with no acclimation to other tanks before with no side effects. You are not overstocked but I do believe you either had them die of stress( thats alot of different environment in a matter of days) and/or bad fish from the get go.

I acclimate like that and have never lost a fish to it. Dont overlook the old methods, until the internet there really were no rules of fish keeping.

Now I noticed the other two angels are breathing very fast, but they are at least eating. I'm so confused. I just don't understand what could have caused them to die.

Test the water today, the panting is lack of oxygen. are they near the surface too?

The water is fine again, same testing results as the day before. I have an airstone and two filters, so I would be surprised if it was lack of oxygen. One of them spends most of it's time at the surface and the other only some times.

Back
Top Bottom