Why isn't my cycled done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for butting in again, but I did a 100% water change and a 50% water change, and my results were .5ppm nitrites and 20ppm nitrates. Can I add the 4ppm of ammonia? Thank you!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389036737.240983.jpgi have not added ammonia since and my nitrites are still higher than I can measure. Should I do another wc?

Nope. It doesn't matter that you can't measure them.

Math tidbit: 4ppm ammonia becomes 10.8ppm Nitrites. So that's why they are "off the chart", and it's ok

You're on track.

You were def right. Ever since this water change my nitrates have finally started to increase. I think it's beginning to work ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389061228.612602.jpg

My water is starting to tint green and I'm having brown algae grow on all my decor. I hope all of this is just because of the cycle and eventually will disappear. I have a uv filter im going to put in my tank as soon as the cycle is done

Got my ammonia today and going to add 2ppm to my already 2ppm tank bc I was doing shrimp but it wasn't really working so it should lower then add more then lower then add more then nitrites go up then you add more or leave it?

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My water is starting to tint green and I'm having brown algae grow on all my decor. I hope all of this is just because of the cycle and eventually will disappear. I have a uv filter im going to put in my tank as soon as the cycle is done
^^^

The issue noted above will pass…
You’re my first post… hehehe
I lurk this thread because I’m in week six with my fishless cycle (with almost the same issue).
It’s nice to have threnjen (thanks) to help us…
Trying to move my two little fancy gold fish out of a 5.5. Into a 56gal
Yes, I did take advice from petsmart… first meh.:(

I'm in the same boat I'm on my 12th day of fishless cycle. I started with dosing ammonia to 4 ppm until nitrite spike then dosed half the ammonia dose until I saw nitrates. Nitrates never got last 20 ppm. Today I did a 50 % water change as my ammonia levels were near zero with a complete nitrite spike and close to zero nitrates. Any suggestions as this is my first fishless cycle.

I'd be happy (and so would others) to advise everyone who is having issues. Can you please each start a brand new thread in the Getting Started area so that we can give each person individual advice without getting all confused :)
Just repost what you said as a new thread and I (and others) will respond to everyone

For anyone reading following threnjen
It's working!!!!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389325077.735429.jpg
My nitrites are starting to finally drop!!!!!
Woot!!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389404414.252373.jpg0 nitrites!!!! My tank is done!!! It worked!!
As the last step I need to do a huge water change to get the nitrates out right? Than I can add fish?

Back
Top Bottom