why two filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am noticing alot of the planted tank, have two filters why, isnt just one canister enough?

It extends the time for maintenance on the mechanical filtration part for 1, second is redundancy (like any other tank). My guess, that and finding a single filter capable of handling 100Gal+ with organic waste is somewhat difficult (and often involves a very high flow rate)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
It extends the time for maintenance on the mechanical filtration part for 1, second is redundancy (like any other tank). My guess, that and finding a single filter capable of handling 100Gal+ with organic waste is somewhat difficult (and often involves a very high flow rate)

My thoughts exactly. Being an IT professional, I am enamored of redundancy, and having a 125G planted ARLC tank, I need all the filtration I can get :)

so what the canisters say it can handle up to is a bunch of lies?

kaz said:
so what the canisters say it can handle up to is a bunch of lies?

Think of it this way:

If I was to tell you that I was going to lower you down a cliff by one of two ropes which would you choose?

A rope that is designed to hold exactly your weight?

or

A rope that is designed to hold several times your weight?

Earlier today someone commented that they thought my 75 gallon aquarium most look ridiculous with 3 filters on it when one of mine is rated on the box to be more than enough for my aquarium.

I responded that it did not look ridiculous at all, just really clean. . .

from what I am understanding it is not that the filters can or cannot do the job right, it is more of a wanting to do less maintenance?

It is not so much a matter of maintenance (I love tinkering and working on stuff), but the fact that I want to ensure that I always have much more filtration than is "necessary".

Also, by having excess filtration, I am ensuring that my filtration needs will be met if one filter completely stops working.

Also, if I need to tear down and clean one filter or completely replace its media, the other filters will take over until the bacteria re-colonizes the cleaned filter.

If you have a heavily stocked aquarium, your water quality can be challenged by a small filter, and high filtration capacity can keep your water healthier for your fish.

so then two canister will work or it has to be one canister and a hob?

Its also about water circulation. Travis has two Rena XP3's running, but he also has a 6 foot long aquarium.

In my 75, I run an XP3, and a Maxi Jet 900 powerhead. If I don't clean that XP3, it gets really gunked up.

Canisters work better since they minimize CO2 loss, and most of use plant geeks are big into CO2

Water circulation is the key point. Canisters are also used because they are much better at mechanical filtration than HOB having large media capacity. Biological filtration is not a priority on planted tanks. Most canisters (all but Eheim to my knowledge) are rated with no media in them. That is why some have much higher gph than eheims. Eheim tests theirs with full media in them. Canister makes good CO2 reactors vs H.O.B. filters.

For me. two filters are about controlong the flow rate. I have two Fluval 303's on my 55 gallon. I could get one big Filter to handle the tank. But two smaller ones allow me the same total flow rate as a large one might, and the flow out of the individual units is less though. They have a total rated flow of 250gph for both (125gph each). This is not bad, it takes about 10 minutes to clears up cloudy water after I stir things up. Since the flow is only 125 on to each unit though, I put my U/V on one, and my in-line heater on the other. The flow rate from one large unit would be too much, and would reduce the effectiveness of the U/V. This way I get the best of both worlds. Large total filter flow, for clean water and happy fish. But, slow flow on each individual unit so as to allow my U/V to work well.
And, for sure 2 is less maintenance. They both have been running for about 8 months. In that time I have opened them twice to do some cleaning, and each time I just selaed it back up... nothing was clogged and no maintenance was necesary. I would not be surprised if it is a full year before they really need a cleanout.

i have 2 filters on a 125g (fluval 304 and fluval 404). i have a VERY heavy fish load and a lot of plants--so there is always stuff floating around in the water. i also have an extra powerhead for more current top cut down on the "dead" areas. i find that even with 2 strong filters running, i have to rinse out the prefilter sponges one to two times per week. i guess what i'm saying is that a lot of it has to do with bioload as well. it also gives me more flexibility in how i use my media since i have that many more trays. i use cc in one filter, floss in the other and can alternate maintence on them so one is always up and running.

So all this is what I came up with, what do you think?

Stock:
2 Bolivian Ram
2 German Blue Ram
1 Neon Dwarf Gourami
1 Red Fire Dwarf Gourami
4 Boesemani Rainbow
1 Praecox Rainbow
5 Otocinclus Catfish
12 Cardinal Tetra or 6 True Rummynose Tetra
2 Sunset Platy
3 Neon Tetra
1 Malaysian Trumpet Snail
1 to 5 shrimp not sure which
And a pleco don’t know which one yet is suitable and doesn’t grow as big to eat and clean the bottom of tank.

Tank setup:
75g or 60g
RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter
Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer
Hydor ETH 300 In-Line Heater-300 W
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Air Pump 300
Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermometer
1 Driftwood and 1 Root
Pool Sand and black sand

I like to do a setup with Moonlight, Day light and Dust and Dawn light with timers Fluorescent have no idea how to go upon this or which to get. Or what type of Kelvin.

I think this is about it any advice and if all this works.

so based on this shoudl I put up another filter?

btw as you see my sig most of those fishes will be transfered to the new wannabe tank setup, after I bought my leo I found out what type of fish it was, so if anyone is interested in giving him a new home he is up for grabs, he is now about 2 inches

I'll comment only on the fish I know...

I know that rummynoses are fry eaters, most tetras are actually.. so if you want your rams to spawn, they are not the best choices ... also if you want your shrimp to breed (should you pick breedable shrimp, I'm told the rummys will gobble the babies. I am about to evict my rummies because I want to keep my dwarf cichlids from feeling "under siege"

Neons like schools bigger than three, six at least. but I have given up on them altogether because each time i have tried, I've ended up with "neon tetra disease" which strikes them one by one utnil they are all gone. The only way to stop it is euthanasizing the ill one/ones..

I had a red and a neon dwarf Gourami for about five minutes. They jsut went after one another. but it was in a much smaller tank

I am replacing my own rummies with pencil fish which are cool looking and don't eat fry .... I love my otos... and I could use a few malaysian trumpet snais..

I love the Bosemani rainbows and drool at them in the lfs, but my tank is too small.

sherry said:
I'll comment only on the fish I know...

I know that rummynoses are fry eaters, most tetras are actually.. so if you want your rams to spawn, they are not the best choices ... also if you want your shrimp to breed (should you pick breedable shrimp, I'm told the rummys will gobble the babies. I am about to evict my rummies because I want to keep my dwarf cichlids from feeling "under siege"

Neons like schools bigger than three, six at least. but I have given up on them altogether because each time i have tried, I've ended up with "neon tetra disease" which strikes them one by one utnil they are all gone. The only way to stop it is euthanasizing the ill one/ones..

I had a red and a neon dwarf Gourami for about five minutes. They jsut went after one another. but it was in a much smaller tank

I am replacing my own rummies with pencil fish which are cool looking and don't eat fry .... I love my otos... and I could use a few malaysian trumpet snais..

I love the Bosemani rainbows and drool at them in the lfs, but my tank is too small.

my two gouramis do chase each other down like you say, I originally had a dozen neon but all gone and only left with three, so what other small school fish can I get?

Characins (tetra family) are the same family as Pacu and Pirahnna.. I'ld imagine they all have the same feelings towards things that fit in their mouth.. My Congo's ate 21 Neons in just over 1 week...

Have you thought of cories? they are a schooling fish. Or Black Neon Tetras, they are a bit more hardy then regular neons and too small to have a major impact on they fry population (not saying they won't snack on a few..)

Back
Top Bottom