Why was i sold platys as coldwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I read on here that platys are a tropical fish and should be kept in a heated tank. yet originally I was sold two platys as coldwater fish to go in with two then newly acquired goldfish tank. I have the two platys at mo in with some cloud minnows and few danios in an unheated tank. I also have 4 fancies in another separate tank. I am upgrading my goldie tank to a 300l soon I would like to have all my fish in the one tank. Can I put the minnows in with the danios in the goldie tank. And then get a smaller tank and heater for my platys. I don't have room for three tanks. Or can I keep the plays, minnow and danios together and just get a heater for there current tank and then have the goldie on there own in a 79gallon. My platys have lived fine for almost a year in a coldwater tank its just I feel bad if they aren't meant to be in there. Any advice will be good. What is the best suggestion. I also worry that if I put minnow in with the goldies as they get older they will mistake them as food!!! I want no more than two tank ie spacewise and workwise. I wouldn't have got the platys if I knew they were not meant for coldwater.

Your Platys

Hello em...

Platys are extremely hardy fish, as are Danios. Both are popular to use to do a "fish-in" tank cycling. They easily tolerate extreme water conditions as long as the conditions are steady.

I keep both these fish and they are a healthy fish. If your house stays a bit warmer in the colder months, around 70 degrees or so, these fish should be fine. Just make sure you provide clean water conditions.

B

Thanks for the reply. My living room is currently 26.5C and it averages all year round about 24C I have the heating on constantly in the winter. So do you think it would be ok or not so wise to put the platys, 4minnows and 3danios in with the four fancy goldfish when I get the 79gallon tank. OR would this just be too unwise ie (bioload) plus potential of fancy goldfish eating minnows. I have two black moors one is 7inches one is 4inches, the calico fantail is 4inches and the goldie fantail is 3inches.

Or am I better keeping the two current tanks I have and moving my platys, minnows and danios from there 27gallon tank into the 45 gallon getting rid of the 27 and putting just the fancies in to the new 79gallon.

Your Tank

Thanks for the reply. My living room is currently 26.5C and it averages all year round about 24C I have the heating on constantly in the winter. So do you think it would be ok or not so wise to put the platys, 4minnows and 3danios in with the four fancy goldfish when I get the 79gallon tank. OR would this just be too unwise ie (bioload) plus potential of fancy goldfish eating minnows. I have two black moors one is 7inches one is 4inches, the calico fantail is 4inches and the goldie fantail is 3inches.

Hello again em...

As long as you plant the tank well with floating plants, like Hornwort and the smaller fish are larger then the mouth of the largest fish, your tank inhabitants should be fine. Again, keep the water chemistry stable with large, weekly water changes and don't feed too much.

B

Cool cheers i will take it slow when the new set up is up and running and keep the other tank running to see how my goldfish behave with the little guys so i can grab them out and put them back if the goldfish misbehave lol. I would love them all together. i would have four fancies in with the little guys and that would be my tank fully stocked for me. So goldfish would have nearly 20gallons each. with 3danios, 4minnows and 2 platys. Dont know how much the littel guys cut into there gallons mind.

I do 25% mid week waterchanges and 50% at weekend. I have done the mini water change since i got my four fancy goldfish two weeks ago because i know im overstocked now with four fancies in a 42gallon. But this wont be for long.

Back
Top Bottom