Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hallelujah..... Glory be......
Great Poseidon.... Bless thee.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On another note, :whistle: as I was preparing to leave for dinner, I took 1 last look at the pleco tank and WHAMO!!! I got a spawn. :D There it was, right in the middle of the front of the tank. :facepalm: Another big cluster. :D I guess they are only going to use the tube to spawn in but not keep the eggs in as none of their spawns has been inside for a complete day. :banghead: I've been trying to see if I can watch the spawning activity but again no such luck. As my friend told me last night, "These fish are crazy. You can stare at them for 23 hours and 59 minutes and the moment you blink or take your eyes off of them, they spawn and you missed it." :ROFLMAO:

Well it looks like the male Pleco IS using the pipe for his eggs, just not the inside. :facepalm: He has the cluster on the outside side of the pipe in the area between where the pipe touches the tank on the bottom and the curve up.:facepalm::facepalm: I had to get underneath the tank to actually see the eggs so I knew they were still there. ( Another (y) for bare bottom tanks. :brows: ) I only saw 1 dead egg in the clutch so far so things are still looking good. Not going to move the eggs again and see how they do.

Well this last test had 3 components to it and I am pretty sure I have all the information I need. Basically, I'm screwed. :( It started with me leaving the A/C- Heat off last night. I took some rain water, that tested 0 for ammonia, and added an airline off a pump I set up outside so it was getting the freshest air I could get it. The ammonia level this morning was slightly elevated but not even reaching .25 on the test chart. I left the A/C off for most of the day and switched the open air airline to the fry in the jar ( still reading slight ammonia) and used the bubbler that is coming from the air pump wrapped in carbon and this afternoon, after just a few hours of bubbling, the ammonia level was up to .25 ppm. I will have the heat on tonight and take another reading in the morning but I suspect the level should be higher. :( So my air quality indoors is the issue. :banghead: I have a test kit coming next week to test the air quality so I will have to wait and see what that shows. If the air quality in the whole place is the same, I'll have to go back to hatching spawns in the house :banghead::banghead: and bringing them back here once they can have a sponge filter in the tank. That seems to be the only way I am getting a 0 ammonia reading in tanks for more than 2 or 3 days. :banghead::banghead:

All that time and wasted spawns and the answer was.... right under my nose the whole time..... maybe. :whistle: The test is the 2 spawns I have going at the moment. If I get both of these to free swim in mass, I have the answer. If not, Guppies are starting to look good as I have my Green Cobras waiting for me to pick up already. :whistle: :D

Andy, the fact that you ever figured that out astonished me. You're amazing!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Isn't there some way to rig up an outside air supply for your main air pump?

Yes there is. I already even bought the hole saw to do it but, if you remember, even with the air coming in from outside, there was still an ammonia reading from the exchange of gases. So the outside air is a stop gap but not a solution. :(
HVAC

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Too much money to invest in that when this is just a "Hobby" and my real business doesn't need it. I would just have to switch to fish that don't need the specialty care that the Angel eggs need. So far the Plecos and Guppies are doing just fine . ( Hint, Hint. :brows: :whistle: )

So, just for giggles, I tested the water in the subject jar this morning after the heat was on last night and again this afternoon when the A/C was running. No real difference in the results unfortunately. Now I'm confused.:confused: Does this mean the A/C is NOT the cause but it's something else in the building? I can rule out the freezer ( I think) as it was running for months with no ill effects on the fish before the A/C was being used. I had had the freezer in a different part of the building where there was electric while I was waiting to see if the A/C was going to have to stay removed. Back then, the place was more open air ( no racks or dividers built yet) but now it is directly underneath the A/C unit and there is less air movement between rows and the 2 sides of the place. I know the air quality test will be a great help but I don't know that I can wait another 4 or 5 days for it to get here. I've got " I need answers NOW!!!!!" syndrome. :blink: :lol:

ammonia source

andy I was thinking if the wood you use to make the stands maybe were treated that may be your source for ammonia just tryin too help

andy I was thinking if the wood you use to make the stands maybe were treated that may be your source for ammonia just tryin too help

That has been on my agenda of things to test, however, the pressure treated wood on the fish side has been coated, double coated actually, with polyurathane so I don't think it's the issue BUT, a large bench on the lure side was made with PT wood so it might be coming from there? The rest of the place is all white wood mostly "select pine" so that shouldn't be releasing anything. Needless to say, the whole thing is a HUGE mystery. :facepalm:

But I do appreciate the idea. (y)

Before I forget, :whistle: I want to wish all of you who are celebrating, a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D Hope you all enjoy the holiday with family and friends. :)

Can I put two breeding Angels in a 10 gallon. They keep spawning every 7 days. Could be because I keep taking the eggs out and trying to raise them in the 10 gallon. That is the only tank I have right now and I won't have time or money to get more for at least a month or two. I'll be splitting the pair that was fighting as soon as my divider gets here!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can I put two breeding Angels in a 10 gallon. They keep spawning every 7 days. Could be because I keep taking the eggs out and trying to raise them in the 10 gallon. That is the only tank I have right now and I won't have time or money to get more for at least a month or two. I'll be splitting the pair that was fighting as soon as my divider gets here!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, as long as they are not very large adults. Most of my breeders are in 10s and I have been doing that for years. At some point, they will need to be put into a bigger tank but I usually sell off the pairs before they get to that size. :whistle: (y)

On another note, I went to look at the Pleco eggs tonight before I went to dinner and was shocked because I couldn't find them. :( I know everyone keeps saying that multiple spawns can be kept together but since I hadn't done that yet, I didn't have first hand experience. Well, I went down under the tank and couldn't find the eggs there either or the male in his "usual" eggs guarding spot so I got concerned. :huh: ( I hadn't really looked hard at the eggs in the past 2 days :whistle:) So I went and got the flashlight and wouldn't you know it, in a back corner, climbing up the wall, are a whole bunch of hatched plecos. :dance: I tried to count and there are approx 30+ in the corner and some more in other parts of the tank so I have no idea exactly how many I have from this spawn. Considering the Angel situation, I have to give the Pleco success a hardy :dance::dance::dance:(y)(y) :lol:

And to go along with the Ying/ Yang of life, there was some sadness this morning. My first F1 Koi, Mr. Wimpy;) ( pictured here in the center Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: New Angelfish - Picture) was found dead in his tank. At just over 2 years old, it was and wasn't a surprise. This is typical of a fish that was a runt, not a healthy feeder and constantly being over shadowed by other fish in the tank. I'm actually surprised he lasted this long. So for any of you who think you are doing justice by keeping runts and breeding them into your lines, think about this: The fish you are selling or giving to someone most likely will not live for a long time nor produce very good young. Not telling someone the fish they are getting are "runts" just perpetuates the issues with today's poorly Angelfish as well. In other words, CULL! and don't be so quick to get rid of your fish until you know you are producing top notch fish. (y)

Back
Top Bottom