Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that was one of the parts of the equation that was bothering. To me I felt that since the babies spent the same if not more time in the grow out tanks then there should be more grow out tanks then the 10gal rearing tanks. I have two grow out tanks per pair with my 3 10gal and I find that not to be enough grow outs. I had to split my last spawn into 3 30gal just to give them the elbow room. My big issue is I only have one lfs that is willing to purchase from home breeders so I'm relying on private sale. I get more $ for them but they take longer to go out the door. The joys of just starting. Takes a bit to earn credibility. :)

That's right Ray. Even in my formula of 4 tanks per pair, the only flaw I experienced was when the grow outs were taking too long to grow out and I needed to get another spawn out of the small tanks and into the big ones cause Mom and Pop were getting ready to go at it again :brows: That's why I had a battery of those coffin liners as back ups so that I could put 2 small spawns that were the same(ish) size together to finish growing out, freeing up 2 75 gal. tanks. Usually by the time I was needing the big tank, I had already had some of the fish large enough for sale so the numbers were being reduced along the way making it easier to blend the remaining fish together. At that age, size is more important than age. When they are younger, age is more important as younger fry tend to get overshadowed and dominated by older fry.

I wasn't kidding when I said that Angels can BURY YOU with fry. :lol:

well i talked it over with the wife and we are building a garage this summer so i will be expanding out to there . so now i can get all the other tanks out of storage .FINALLY!!!

Maybe I should pack up my fish and move to CO instead :whistle: :lol: How far are you from an airport? :brows:

lol good luck . just look into his eyes and give him that look and say pleaseeee hunny. because if u read the last post from andy it take a lot of tanks. i have 22 set up and actually that's still not enough. i picked up 2 more 75s and 2 more 55s but i have to reseal them hence FREE. because with angels u will get around 100 to 300 or so eggs every 15 to 18 days if they get on a regular schedual. i alter my water changes as to seperate the egg laying times between pairs.

Actually I came home yesterday to two more tanks sitting on my door step so I'm good for a little while. I don't know where they came from but hey the angelfish god musta heard I really wanna do this ones a 20l and other a 29h and I already got a 40 breeder. Now of course the bf don't believe that they were jus sitting there but he said he's going get me sponge filters and hoods for them so he can't be to mad lol I told him its a good addiction I'm not out gambling or drinking/drugs and we have some thing to show for our money. He may tell others he's not into but when we find a new fish place he is just like me "a lil kid in a candy store" every time. There's never an argument when I say baby we gotta cheek this place out. And I have plenty of room for more if needed he told me it was my last tank at tank 3 and that lasted 2 mons. So I'm stoked its going take some time for the angels to grow out and start breeding so I will scope out Craigslist for good deal :)

image-727633278.jpg

well, i have swimmers! doing a big wc on the 10g then sucking the fry out of the 55g so that i can get them before they are 2 mobile and still in mostly 1 spot... ill let the parents keep a few for a bit like i did before

Actually I came home yesterday to two more tanks sitting on my door step so I'm good for a little while. I don't know where they came from but hey the angelfish god musta heard I really wanna do this ones a 20l and other a 29h and I already got a 40 breeder. Now of course the bf don't believe that they were jus sitting there but he said he's going get me sponge filters and hoods for them so he can't be to mad lol I told him its a good addiction I'm not out gambling or drinking/drugs and we have some thing to show for our money. He may tell others he's not into but when we find a new fish place he is just like me "a lil kid in a candy store" every time. There's never an argument when I say baby we gotta cheek this place out. And I have plenty of room for more if needed he told me it was my last tank at tank 3 and that lasted 2 mons. So I'm stoked its going take some time for the angels to grow out and start breeding so I will scope out Craigslist for good deal :)

Nice tanks. Like the background. Since you don't know where they came from that means there's no telling what was in them. You might want to clean them very well just in case they held reptiles.

A few pics!!! Most of the babies have been moved... left a few with the parents tho.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130709_183635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130709_183635.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20130709_183701.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130709_183701.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
  • ForumRunner_20130709_183813.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130709_183813.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 41
  • ForumRunner_20130709_183829.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130709_183829.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 57
If they were supposed to have hatched today, study the parents and see if they are paying attention to another area of the tank. That's usually a sign of " Hide the babies. " :lol:

They were free swimmers for about 3 days, all eating well on bbs them bam all gone in the space of a few hours!! Mom dose look a little plump tho

Nice tanks. Like the background. Since you don't know where they came from that means there's no telling what was in them. You might want to clean them very well just in case they held reptiles.

Yes I was scrubbing the heck outta them with vinegar and water and they do hold water. I'm going to Continue to scrub them for an hr for the next week just to be safe. Can never clean to much.

They were free swimmers for about 3 days, all eating well on bbs them bam all gone in the space of a few hours!! Mom dose look a little plump tho

Sorry to hear that. :( Unfortunately, that's the chances you take when letting the parents raise the fry. Realisticly, once the eggs hatch ( you don't need the parents for that either btw), the parents are really not necessary to the survival of the fry unless they are in a tank of other fish. And if they are, the other fish usally win...... eventually :facepalm:
Better luck next time (y)

I just got 5 quarter sized angels from lee Gordon from angelfishmania and they are beautiful. I got a platinum blue a marble blue and three silver bar type which I just asked what they were so I know. I hope I get a pair outta the five or a few female for my other angels

I decided to let the silvers try to spawn after all. I had to clean out one of the 30s with the marbles and kois so I moved the 2 Silvers to the 10, moved the other sinto the 30 where the Silvers came from and reset up the other 30. I used most of the water from the 30 for the Silvers but added enough water to be considered a partial water change. Don;t you know the female was ready to spawn. I moved them too late. I was able to watch their spawning behavior towards the end which turned out to be a good thing. The male was eating the eggs right after she was laying them (Typical behavior of new breeders.) so if I hadn't seen them, I wouldn't have known about the spawn. Towards the end tho, he started acting as if he was fertilizing them so there is hope that the next spawn, in 18 days based on the time from her first and second spawns, hopefully he will be more into the program ;) As of 8:30 tonight, there is no fighting between the fish but all the eggs are gone.
I also set apart a potential pair of the larger straight male Koi with a probable female Koi veil. Hopefully they will start as well. Now that I have those extra tanks, let the spawnings commence.lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom