Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a very nice 8'X8' storage building yesterday. I think I may have a free wall for tanks. Been sitting outside pondering how I can most effectively use my extra space.
Consider using the cinder block with 2" x4" rack so that it's 3 levels high. Have the bigger tanks on the bottom row. It's the most space saving method I know. (FYI: I can get 21 -10 gal tanks on a rack this type in 8' of space ;) )

(y)

Well... my life threw me some curve balls d I ended up moving, and lost all my females. I also got a blue pearlscale pair, and lost the female from that... taking some time to let my juvies grow and mature, and prob get some new juvies to start new lines... :( oh well, life goes on.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well... my life threw me some curve balls d I ended up moving, and lost all my females. I also got a blue pearlscale pair, and lost the female from that... taking some time to let my juvies grow and mature, and prob get some new juvies to start new lines... :( oh well, life goes on.

I can commiserate. Due to a space issue, I lost the majority of the babies from my last marble spawn and also lost my Male Zebra from the Gold Zebra pair. Thankfully, I have some of their offspring from 3 different spawns so I am just raising them to breed back to their mother and each other since I can't breed them back to their father. :(

The only good news on the fish front is that I got my loan approved for the building. Hopefully I will have it being started within the next 4 weeks (the timeframe I was told from the builder it would take.) I hope to have it done and operational by the heat of the summer. Thank goodness for air conditioning :D. I don't want the fish to have to go through another scortcher this summer :facepalm:

breeding angels//taking the eggs//hatch youself

hey there...ive been angels for twenty years,,i just thought id try to help..i just started this site today..do u have brine shrimp eggs ready to go..if u got parents with fry they will come up with them soon..so be sure to have fresh hatched brine shrimp ready when they start to freeswim with parents don't overfeed just siphon your shrimp wash them out under the sink just for a minute..make sure u have brine shrimp net..i don't know what all u know so im just rambling..i assume u know about brine shrimp eggs.pet store should have them..i use pickling salt when I hatch..so go to the store and get some salt and eggs a gallon jar a pump and tubing and airstone..if u have a small batch.u only need a little hatch at a time they last for two or three days..but,,if these don't make it..id try taking them after they lay them use a pcs of hard tubing like 4 undergravel filter tubes the hard tube that runs down the air tube attaché airline tubing to it get a gallon jar draw some water from tank in it first then go where the eggs are and suck them into the jar u may have to lean the tube a little and scratch the surface and they ll go right in the jar us airstone in jar to keep them moving,,,artificial parenting lol..oh use a drop or two of fungas guard.. works great!! count 8 days from the day the lay..thats the first day,,even if its later in the day..8 days they will free swim..have your brine shrimp ready..and feed them DONT OVERFEED THEM.. just put a little at a time in the 10 gal tank..after they freeswim pour them in ten gallon SAME TEMP.i usualy put my jar in the ten with heater in ten that way jar water is the same as tank water..pour them in wait awhile for them to get stabilized to tank then just go for it..feed small amounts you will see there tummy turn orange that's enough..wait a few hours then feed again..4 to 8 hrs.just keep there tummy orange and you will be fine..it only takes 6 weeks until there ready about dime to nickel size..start feeding them crushed flake..when theyre eating good..sell em or give em away..and there u have it..thats how u raise angels..have fun!!and best regards on all your fish endevers. I hope this helps..oh u can take the babies wigglers same way into ten gallon tank.SAME TEMP..id use water from the tank there in..set thermometer for same temp..make sure to wait until they swim on there own before feeding..if u don't have brine get some they have to have it...within a day after swimming no longer than two they will die..it takes 18 to 24 hrs to hatch shrimp..so get busy and have fun:dance::fish1::fish2::fish2:they look like pack man when they eat its awesome!!!!!! my email is scootyfish38@yahoo.com..let me know who it goes.or if u have questions give me a buz

So all my angel experts on here what could of done this to an angel in 24 hours with a salt bath and a hospital tank with maracyn 2. The angel died but it looked like a small scratch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400886202550.jpg
    1400886202550.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 79
So all my angel experts on here what could of done this to an angel in 24 hours with a salt bath and a hospital tank with maracyn 2. The angel died but it looked like a small scratch

For starters, pic #1 is far from a small scratch. It looks more like something inside that popped to the surface of the skin. Pics #2 & #3 look like a secondary infection. Salt bath may have actually done more harm than good in this case.
Maracyn 2 is more for internal issues. Once this popped out, it was no longer an internal issue and a better antibiotic would have been my recommendation. Furan-2 or something with Nitrofurazone would have been my med of choice since it treats both gram + and gram - bacteria. Tetracycline or Kanamycin would have been my back up choices. ( My real backup choice is no longer available on the market :( )

I would seriously recommend you invest in a book on fish diseases. The key to any successful cure is recognition of the disease. What you are calling a small scratch in pic #1, I call an explosion of the tissue with massive devastating potential infections. But that's because I've seen these before. I learned of them from my disease books. FYI: using pics 2 & 3 as a reference, I just googled "Tropical Fish Diseases" and went to one page that lists pics and cures. I just looked at the pics ( without pre judging the cause) and matched your pics with what appeared to infect the fish in their pics. THEN I looked at the info and it was "external bacterial infection" as the cause. Exactly what I thought from the start.
Unfortunately, there are many diseases today that didn;t exist in the old days which is why you need to be up on them. With fewer and fewer medications being available anymore, the proper med is key to curing the fish. Nitrofurazone ( specifically Furan-2) has long been my "go to" med for bacterial infections because it treats both gram + & - bacteria. You don;t have to specifically identify what type you are dealing with unless this med doesn't work. This was a rampant bacteria to take the fish in just 24 hours. No telling that any med would have cured it but what you used was not really treating the fish to have any chance. Once again, I strongly recommend you have an arsenal of meds on hand to choose from so that you use the right one for the right cause. ( Furan would not have worked had this been a parasitic infestation. That would be a good cause for a salt bath.)

Hope this helps(y)

So the delays with my building and a current heat wave have taken another toll on my breeding program. I lost the female ( who was the second female of the trio) who was paired up with my silver veil male. Thankfully, I have some of their offspring which now gives me both marble veils and more silver veils to add to the future breeders tank. Things seem to finally be moving out of the stalemate with the building but now I may have to contend with the weather. Summer is the rainy season here in Central FL so if the concrete doesn't set right, more delays may be in store.
Hope to post some good news soon. ;)

My newest set of blue abgels are doing great. They are getting daily 2-3g changes and are eatting up micro worms. Hopefully i have al the right conditions now.

hello all hope you are doing well with much success breeding and raising angel fish. i have now purchased gold claims here in colorado so im not doing fish any more as this takes all my time and work. i miss chatting with u and will check in more

So that's why you haven't checked in for a while!!! You find a fortune yet Bob??? If not, I hope you do...

Help!

So I want to start by saying I raised 6 angels from babies. Then they acted like they were pairing off and somehow killed two of them. So now I am down to 4. I think those four are 2 males and 2 females. I have separated them. Put them all back together. Put the pairs in different tanks. Fed them a million different things. To no avail! I still don't have any spawning. Any more suggestions?

hello all hope you are doing well with much success breeding and raising angel fish. i have now purchased gold claims here in colorado so im not doing fish any more as this takes all my time and work. i miss chatting with u and will check in more

Your ears must have been ringing, Bob. I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing post surgery and with your rehab. I'm about 2 steps away from getting my building started ( finally :facepalm:) and looking forward to working my fish in the comfort of an A/C ed building instead of outdoors in the Florida heat. lol
Gold eh? Well, as long as you don;t have to do the digging for it, it must be a lot easier than raising fish. :lol:
Wish you well,
Andy

So I want to start by saying I raised 6 angels from babies. Then they acted like they were pairing off and somehow killed two of them. So now I am down to 4. I think those four are 2 males and 2 females. I have separated them. Put them all back together. Put the pairs in different tanks. Fed them a million different things. To no avail! I still don't have any spawning. Any more suggestions?

Before I go into any details, you say you raised these fish from babies but you don;t say how old they are now. THAT is an important thing to know ;) If they are not old enough, nothing you do will make them spawn. :whistle:

Yes I did say I raised them from babies! They are 10 months old.

Then at 10 months old, they are really just getting into being of breeding age so nothing you have done for them prior, really counts towards their pairing and spawning. My suggestion, keep them all together in a single tank, put a spawning slate or 2 in the tank with them and just leave them be. Get into ( or continue to maintain) a routine for water changes and feedings and just let nature take it's course. If nothing happens in the next 4- 6 months, THEN I'd start to really look deeper into the why.

Just because Angels can start to breed at 8-10 months does not mean ALL Angels start at 8-10 months old. I personally don't allow my Angels to breed until they are at least a year old. (Notice I said "at least" a year old. I go by their size after the year not their age for breeding.) Bigger older breeders make bigger eggs which make bigger fry which are easier to care for and raise.

That's my opinion:whistle: Hope it helps (y)

Subscribing to this post i just got my first pair of angels today and would love to start breeding! What size tank should I use as my breeding tank if I plan on letting the parents raise the fry?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry for the awful pics I only have my phone camera atm. The first picture is my female the second is the male and they were sold to me as a pair. The other to are just a couple juvenile koi I couldn't resist:D
huzesy5a.jpg
usazu8ed.jpg
yde8uhat.jpg
u5ybyzu5.jpg

Subscribing to this post i just got my first pair of angels today and would love to start breeding! What size tank should I use as my breeding tank if I plan on letting the parents raise the fry?

You will need to use a larger sized tank if you are going let the parents raise the fry. I would do a 36" long tank at a minimum. What you may find however, is that once the pair is ready to start spawning again, you will need to either remove the fry to another tank or risk the parents killing them off to secure the next batch of eggs. This is why most Angel breeders raise the fry separate from the parents.
All this info has been discussed within the thread. You would be well educated on breeding Angels after you read through the thread.
Happy reading (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom