Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats sad to hear oscarchic. I feel your pain i just lost a nice male breeder and am down a male for a female. I might have finally figured this breeding thing out though i have 3 spawns that are ranging from a week to a month old now that have over 150 babies .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats on the spawns, Del. As I've said before " Angels will give you a lot of chances to get it right." LOL Once you have it figured out, it's just repeat, repeat, repeat. I'm not doing much differently now than I was doing 30 years ago. In fact, I'm even using some of the tanks from 30 years ago. lol The biggest difference now is that I too am losing breeders like never before. I unfortunately lost my male Zebra Veil that was paired with the Gold but thankfully I have some of their offspring to work with. Then recently, I lost the female Gold Marble ( female #2 of the trio) for no apparent reason. That's working with livestock for ya. :facepalm:
I'm looking at approx 1 more month before construction of the new building. Once in there and under more control, I'm hoping to not have these issues anymore. We'll see. :whistle:

HELP female is laying eggs and male is going right behind her eating them! He's even biting at her breeding tube! Is there anything I can do?!?!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HELP female is laying eggs and male is going right behind her eating them! He's even biting at her breeding tube! Is there anything I can do?!?!

NOPE. You just have to let them be. It's part of the maturing process the pair needs to go through. If this continues to happen for the next few spawns however, he may just be an egg eater and need to be replaced. I know it's frustrating to watch but it's nature at her finest.

NOPE. You just have to let them be. It's part of the maturing process the pair needs to go through. If this continues to happen for the next few spawns however, he may just be an egg eater and need to be replaced. I know it's frustrating to watch but it's nature at her finest.

Ok I plan on moving you to a separate tank for their next spawn and seeing if that helps. I think they may have also just been stressed.../: oh well time to wait for their next spawn good new is I haven't even had this pair a week so glad to know they're adjusting well :)

How long does it take a sponge filter to become cycled in a fully cycled tank?

How long does it take a sponge filter to become cycled in a fully cycled tank?

It all depends. The term "cycled" just means that the nitrifying bacteria bed has been created and they, the bacteria, have been able to grow strong enough and large enough in quantity to consume and convert the amount of ammonia that is present in the tank to it's ultimate conclusion which is in the form of nitrates.
So that means, you could take a brand new sponge filter, out of the bag, squeeze some "juice" out of an old filter that is running in a tank already into the new sponge and have a "cycled" sponge filter. Will that support a large volume of fish immediately? NO, it won't. It will just take time for the bed to grow to equalize to the amount of ammonia being produced. So no matter how long you keep the sponge filter in an established tank, you will not know if it is "fully cycled" until you put other fish in the tank and there is no detectable ammonia rise.

Hope this helps (y)

It all depends. The term "cycled" just means that the nitrifying bacteria bed has been created and they, the bacteria, have been able to grow strong enough and large enough in quantity to consume and convert the amount of ammonia that is present in the tank to it's ultimate conclusion which is in the form of nitrates.
So that means, you could take a brand new sponge filter, out of the bag, squeeze some "juice" out of an old filter that is running in a tank already into the new sponge and have a "cycled" sponge filter. Will that support a large volume of fish immediately? NO, it won't. It will just take time for the bed to grow to equalize to the amount of ammonia being produced. So no matter how long you keep the sponge filter in an established tank, you will not know if it is "fully cycled" until you put other fish in the tank and there is no detectable ammonia rise.

Hope this helps (y)

This helped a lot! Thanks:)

Okay, question for the wise. I am considering breeding angels while slowly gathering what I do need, may need, and probably won't need for it lol. But question.. Why dont ww see more breeders breeding true altums? With the complaints about fish being so small and not good quality, why not start over? Forgive me if this question has already been asked.. I only made it to page 120 so far in this thread haha

If I'm way off track with this please put me back on track.. But wouldn't it make sense if a person were to buy a group of ten or so true Altums of breeding quality and hope they pair off, raise several batches of their fry, cull the bad, sell the good juveniles, and hold back 50 or so juveniles that would be breeding "prospects". After that, when they come to a breeding age (and you've sorted the better from the best), mix them in with angels of another " colored" phenotype to produce colored, quality angels. Wouldn't this bring back a quality line of angels that we are not seeing in stores anymore? I may be way off track with this but its making sense in my head right now.. Maybe I'm just crazy lol :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I'm way off track with this please put me back on track.. But wouldn't it make sense if a person were to buy a group of ten or so true Altums of breeding quality and hope they pair off, raise several batches of their fry, cull the bad, sell the good juveniles, and hold back 50 or so juveniles that would be breeding "prospects". After that, when they come to a breeding age (and you've sorted the better from the best), mix them in with angels of another " colored" phenotype to produce colored, quality angels. Wouldn't this bring back a quality line of angels that we are not seeing in stores anymore? I may be way off track with this but its making sense in my head right now.. Maybe I'm just crazy lol :)

Okay, question for the wise. I am considering breeding angels while slowly gathering what I do need, may need, and probably won't need for it lol. But question.. Why dont ww see more breeders breeding true altums? With the complaints about fish being so small and not good quality, why not start over? Forgive me if this question has already been asked.. I only made it to page 120 so far in this thread haha

Okay, let's try to get your tracks on straight. :brows::lol:
First off, today's domestic Angelfish are more gentically P. Scalare and not p. Altum but you do have the right idea. There is quite a debate as to what specie or species exactly today's Angels came from. With new areas being opened and new color forms of P. Scalare coming in from these places, it's anyone's guess.

True P. Altums have a long history of being very difficult to breed in an aquarium although I have recently seen some breeders finally selling tank raised P. Altums so the "spell" may finally be broken on this line. I use the word TRUE because I have seen numerous pictures of P. scalare that have the title P.altum being used erroneously.

Back to your track, actually, the domesticated Angelfish dates back to as early as the early 1900s. Over the years new colors have been developed by selectively breeding certain traits until they became dominant traits. Some of the effects of this have been the disfigured fish we were talking about. Traditionally, when trying to procure a healthy line of fish that has been inbred, wild blood needed to be added back to the line somewhere around the 7th generation +/- . What that did was add back all the dominant characteristics that made the fish popular in the first place while hopefully keeping the "new" phenotype in tact. Once these fish were bred back to fish of the desired phenotype, the line continues with a stronger genetic pool. THAT was the theory and standard practice back when I first started breeding these fish. With today's fish, many are so many generations removed from wild stock that it would take more than just a single generation of "new blood" to fix the problems they show. Considering that there is little cause by the consumer to complain or demand that they get "properly" proportioned fish, there is little monetary incentive for breeders to go through the process of fixing the fish. Body disfigurement has become a mainstay of the tropical fish industry. Balloon fish, Angel rams?, parrotfish, all have gained a spot in our hearts that the disfigured Angelfish is hardly noticed. What is noticed however, is the fragility of these current fish as they do not hold up as well as the old stock and are being sold too soon ( IMO) when natural deaths are a normal occurrence.

Starting over: As I said before, today's fish are close to 100 years in the making. It would take a long time to recreate from scratch what we have today and nobody wants to take that on. The glimmer of hope however is that within every spawn of fish, (at least what I've seen in my old and recent spawns) there are a few, at least, "perfect" specimens and if the breeders only sold these fish or raised them as their only next generation of breeders, the corrections to the lines may take a lot less time. HOWEVER, you then have the economic considerations to consider. What incentive does a breeder have to throw away the majority of a spawn? Currently, NONE to my knowledge. That's because the customer is still willing to buy the fish "as-is". Should that stop, and the word got back to the breeder that bad quality fish would no longer be accepted, they would have no choice but to either clean up the lines or get out of the Angel breeding biz. That's my take as a breeder. ;) That's my desire as a hobbyist (y)
Without getting overly complicated here, many of today's phenotypes are most likely from repetitive recessive genes being made into dominant genes which can pose a problem when trying to add back wild blood. As I stated before, I'm not sure how happy I am that I can breed a pair of similar phenotype fish and get so many phenotypes from them. This has the same potential implications that adding wild blood to these lines could potentially wipe out the whole line. It's a real dilemma. :facepalm:

So I hope I answered your question and you've enjoyed reading our little novella on breeding Angelfish (y)

Okay thank you for keeping me straight. Can I just have your brain for the day? Lol! So, in this case, is it possible to find a line of angels thats breeding has been very closely watched and carefully bred these days? what is your process to find the best breeding quality fish? I'm a horse person, and its a whole stinking lot easier to select horses to breed because the majority of them have pedigrees you can just pick up and read! Lol why can't fish be that easy

Okay thank you for keeping me straight. Can I just have your brain for the day? Lol! So, in this case, is it possible to find a line of angels thats breeding has been very closely watched and carefully bred these days? what is your process to find the best breeding quality fish? I'm a horse person, and its a whole stinking lot easier to select horses to breed because the majority of them have pedigrees you can just pick up and read! Lol why can't fish be that easy

I'm also a horse person and I've found myself thinking that exact same thing!

We could come up with a price for my brain for the day but you have to also purchase my body with it and THAT could run into some bucks!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My parents were dog breeders so I understand what you are talking about with the horses. They are definitely easier than fish, especially these days.
I'm sure there are some breeders out there with purer lines but I doubt they are selling their fish to the local Walmarts, Petsmarts, Petcos, etc. You will need to check out places like fish clubs and fish societies to find them.
Unfortunately, the control on breeding lines of fish have not been regulated ever, to my knowledge, so finding that "pedigree" fish will be an arduous task. It's finding a breeder, then learning about the breeder then learning about the fish and then, when all is said and done, TRUSTING that what you have found is the truth. That's just part of the issue.
I've been running into another problem with today's fish: AGE :facepalm: I have been raising some of the fish in my earlier reports to see what they turn out as and am finding that a larger percentage of them are developing bent fins as they get older. I've conferred to some breeding buddies of mine and they have confirmed that they too have the same experience. "It's in the fish." Right now I am just letting mine grow out and will pick only the best ones to carry over for breeding. ATM, it's looking like keeping maybe 1or 2 out of 100 fish. :( So now, my recommendations are leaning towards not buying any small fish. If you want breeding stock, wait until they are of medium large to larger size to ensure they didn;t develop this bent trait later on. For general tank watching, you can get smaller ones and take your chances. IF you get some breeders from them that don;t have any bad traits, all the better but that's most likely not going to be the norm based on where people say they get their fish from. And that is also part of the issues of today's hobby. Big chain stores are buying from from their local breeders but their local breeders could be far away from where you are buying the fish at. When I approached a local chain store to sell my bettas to, they told me I needed to contact corporate and have them interview me and jump through a bunch of hoops to sell them my fish. I passed. My reputation was all I needed to sell my fish "back in the day". ( And BTW, this was to a local chain whose owner WAS one of my customers back in the 80s when he only had 1 store.) Things have changed in the industry so mass production needs to be done thereby forfeiting quality (I believe). Every time I go into a shop and look at the fish, I just keep hearing my buddy ( a current pet store owner) telling me " It ain't like the old days. :()

But enough of my rant, ;) start looking for better breeders. I'd start with the Angelfish Society. The Angelfish Society

Happy hunting (y)

Can you just come up to north Dakota and walk me through this haha

And I wouldn't consider that a rant, Andy. So far, all over your "rants" have been very very very informative. I have a learned a lot from you and Bob and everyone else just from reading :)

And I wouldn't consider that a rant, Andy. So far, all over your "rants" have been very very very informative. I have a learned a lot from you and Bob and everyone else just from reading :)

Thanks. I try :D
Just keep reading and asking questions. Maybe that can save you the cost of bringing me there. ;) (y)

So one more question.. For now ;) what do you as a breeder look for in a quality angel? I've researched for hours and hours and hours and have found lots of different answers but not any from actual breeders today

So one more question.. For now ;) what do you as a breeder look for in a quality angel? I've researched for hours and hours and hours and have found lots of different answers but not any from actual breeders today

Because I too have limited stock available to me, I look at their physical appearance. ( I use the Angelfish Society guidelines) If they don;t look right, I move on. I will not take a fish just to have the fish. I make my best determinations on whether I will continue with them as breeders after the first spawn grows up. If their fry are nice, I continue. If they are duds, I'll break up the pair to see if they can produce better fry with a different mate. As I said in my previous post ( novella, lol) I am having issues coming out at older ages. I am seriously thinking that my best pair for numbers of fry may need to be switched as their fry are mostly bad as they mature. It sucks but what can you do? :facepalm: I want to put back into the market, fish that look just as good as adults as they do as babies. That's becoming a bit more work than I thought it would be but when the building is done, the process will continue. I've got both time and space :D :lol:

What kind of issues are you running into with the older fish other than bent fins? If you don't mind me asking.. This stuff really interests me haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom