Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't rinse the shrimp every time I feed them but that's why I did a water change after.
I try rinsing out the shrimp every time this spawn. What's the best way to do so?, I've used coffee filters recently but it's kind of a slow process.
Thanks.?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I siphon my shrimp from their hatching jars into a brine shrimp net then just run my well water over them. If you don't have a brine shrimp net, you may want to go to places like brineshrimpdirect.com or Ebay.com to get one. Make sure you get the finest netting as some new varieties of brine shrimp eggs hatch into nupluii that are small enough to go through the typical pet shop brine shrimp nets by the larger manufacturers (i.e. Penn Plax, Wardley, Tetra etc.)

I can't say for sure it's the food but the timing just screams at me " It's the food!!!! " ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Ok thanks Andy, I'll check in on the brines shrimp net.

Well it's taken a few months and a lot of frustration but it looks like my building for the Angelfish hatchery should be starting to go up in about 4 weeks. It will be a pre fab so it takes a bit to build it to my specs. I'll start another post with the details as construction starts. I have some land issues that need to be dealt with prior to pouring the concrete floor. (That part of the property has a little flooding issue :( It would take an awful lot of aquarium gravel to level it out. LOL )
Right now my fish are just resting due to the excessive heat. I feel bad for them but I have no other options at the moment. I did lose 1 male while I was away earlier this month so I am down to 2 males now and 4 spawning females. No new fish until the new place is up and running! ( Which stinks because I saw one the other day I would have taken :s ) I do have some interesting F1 generation fish coming along from earlier spawns. Pics to follow as I get time.
Hope everybody is out there making good quality Angels while I'm not. ;) I won;t be too far behind. ;)

I'll keep y'all posted (y)

Sounds great, can't wait to see pics.
Not much has happened with the pair since last post until just today. They've started getting a little aggressive and the female is starting to fatten up and clean up a little spot on the slate. Fingers crossed for spawning.
I also have a little question about my tank size. The pair hasn't grown very fast in the 20gal, I've been doing water changes regularly and making sure they get plenty of food. Idk it might just be that I'm seeing them everyday and can't really notice them grow. Other than that everything's fine.
Good luck on the hatchery can't wait to see it!

Looking forward to your hatchery Andy!

I've had a few spawns from my silver pair, they have eaten most of the eggs, some made it to wigglers and I had a couple make it which I gave to my LFS guys daughter.

I've got a paired off set of golds now in my 29, they have a few months left until they are of spawning age but they bonded in the community tank so I gave them their own space.

In the mean time I'm working with endlers and different snails and redoing some of my tanks.

Sounds great, can't wait to see pics.
Not much has happened with the pair since last post until just today. They've started getting a little aggressive and the female is starting to fatten up and clean up a little spot on the slate. Fingers crossed for spawning.
I also have a little question about my tank size. The pair hasn't grown very fast in the 20gal, I've been doing water changes regularly and making sure they get plenty of food. Idk it might just be that I'm seeing them everyday and can't really notice them grow. Other than that everything's fine.
Good luck on the hatchery can't wait to see it!

It might actually be a case of both. You really don't want the fish to grow too quickly in that sized tank and you may not notice their growth as you see them daily. In this case, I look for signs. I was always taught that fish are content/happy/satisfied with their surrounds and conditions if they were willing to spawn in them. You see spawning behavior so that's a good sign all is okay. Human interpretation of conditions don;t really matter as everybody has an opinion. ;) The fish are what I go by and stressed fish don;t breed in an aquarium. Therefore it follows that the results of the spawn are not totally related to tank's conditions either. A failed spawn has other factors to be considered.

Thanks for the well wishes and I'll keep ya posted (y)

some pics

G9X9O8t.jpg

0vCRmZF.jpg

Looking forward to your hatchery Andy!

I've had a few spawns from my silver pair, they have eaten most of the eggs, some made it to wigglers and I had a couple make it which I gave to my LFS guys daughter.

I've got a paired off set of golds now in my 29, they have a few months left until they are of spawning age but they bonded in the community tank so I gave them their own space.

In the mean time I'm working with endlers and different snails and redoing some of my tanks.

Thanks Chris:
I've been waiting too long for this myself. lol
Glad to hear you've had some success with getting some fish to salable size. You may need to do more artificial rearing to get higher results. Each Angelfish is different. Some make good parents, some don't. Some even never get the hang of it and remain egg eaters. :( It's up to you how you want to proceed.
I too am anxiously waiting for these F1s to grow. I want to breed them for lineage. It even looks like I have potential Pandas. Their siblings have some orange in them, like their father, but these don't. Hopefully it doesn't show up later. :blink:

Once I'm set up, we'll need to talk about me getting some of your Endlers :whistle: :lol: (y)

Is everyone still having luck raising angels? Im raising a few batches a month with good success. Hows the building going andy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is everyone still having luck raising angels? Im raising a few batches a month with good success. Hows the building going andy

The heat has helped me curtail my breeding at the moment but that's a good thing for now. I'm currently raising some of the F1 generation from the multiple pairs to use as new breeders. Sadly, I was not real happy with the way most of the fry I was raising were turning out and they were destroyed for genetic purposes. In fact, the last spawn, which is in the video a number of pages back, had maybe a 1% salable outcome. I was extremely disappointed to say the least and destroyed close to 300 fish due to bent finage. Considering that these were not brother and sister for sure, this outcome was extremely disappointing and part of the reason so many bad fish are on the market as most breeders would not take that kind of loss. I'm used to rates of 85%-90% salable outcomes so it's obvious a lot of work still needs to be done. I still implore you all to follow my lead and get the crap off the market. We can do it with selective breeding. (y)

As for my building, funny you should ask. ;):lol: The first delivery of soil for compaction just arrived about an hour ago. (y) If all goes according to plan, the whole building should be up and functional in about a month. My A/C has been ordered, the electrician is waiting for the building and the building is waiting for the concrete guy to pour the foundation. This has been a hard struggle with permits and such due to the location of the building but in the end, I know it will all be worth it. I only hope I time it right for the next $1.00 / gallon sale as I need a lot of 10 gal tanks. :D :lol:

That's my update (y)

Andy, quick question....you mentioned that you knew your spawn was not between brother/sister, so the bent finage was unfair. I have 2 angelfish from the same spawn (7-8 months ago....) trying to pair up. Would their fry have issues? How can I stop them from pairing?Thx- kelly

Andy, quick question....you mentioned that you knew your spawn was not between brother/sister, so the bent finage was unfair. I have 2 angelfish from the same spawn (7-8 months ago....) trying to pair up. Would their fry have issues? How can I stop them from pairing?Thx- kelly

Genetic maladies come from generation after generation of inbreeding. Without knowing what generation your fish are, you can't predict what problems they will have, only what they might have and that's a long list. What results from the spawn will be your best answer whether to allow that pair to continue spawning. In my case, I knew that I matched a fish I got in VA with a fish from FL so that there would be the remotest chance they would be related and I could eliminate a lot of possibilities. The fact that so many of the spawn were of poorer quality was a shock to me, to say the least. I would have to think that the odds of that happening would have to be very low however, I have been having a low percentage of quality fry from all 3 pairs that are mixed state fish. The pair I have/had :( that are both from FL ( Gold/ Zebtra veil) had a very small fry survival rate but the fish that did survive have nice finnage and good growth so its all in the genes. Hopefully, with the new building and multiple tanks to play with, I can better isolate good genetic pairs and work from there.

Has anyone used 5-10 micton golden pearls for their babies? I am slowly hatching brine shrimp because my worm cultures got contaimenated by flys so i dumped them. The newest batch seems to take a liking to them. I also found 84-86 degrees hatched better then 80-82 degree water.

Hey there, I think we have Triplets!

Here is my newest addition, dark red dorsal fin. What name/variety, would one call this fish?

60074-albums13946-picture67243.jpg

Those two I have were supposed to be sunset blushing but they're more of a gold cap in my opinion. I need to look through my threads and se how old they are now. I know one thing they have really started to bond like no other pair I've had. They are what seems to be in fishy love :fish1:

I hope everyone is doing good. I've been so busy with lifes other obligations lately, feels good to take a few minutes and catch up here.

Those two I have were supposed to be sunset blushing but they're more of a gold cap in my opinion. I need to look through my threads and se how old they are now. I know one thing they have really started to bond like no other pair I've had. They are what seems to be in fishy love :fish1:

I hope everyone is doing good. I've been so busy with lifes other obligations lately, feels good to take a few minutes and catch up here.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Gold Cap or Red if there might be such a thing. The red color looks blood red really dark. I wonder about if it might pair with a Koi Angel and whether or not their kind would darken the Koi color. The other fish in the group had some marble in them mine was the only one w/o black on it.

Anyone know if this new one in the pic is male or female?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Gold Cap or Red if there might be such a thing. The red color looks blood red really dark. I wonder about if it might pair with a Koi Angel and whether or not their kind would darken the Koi color. The other fish in the group had some marble in them mine was the only one w/o black on it.

Anyone know if this new one in the pic is male or female?

First, NICE FISH!!!! :D (y)
Second, I need a better profile pic for sexing BUT if the fish is less than 8 months old, the guess ratio goes up. ;)

Third: Back in the 80s, I had a pair of fish which were called "Red cap" Angels. These fish were identical to the red cap oranda goldfish in that they were white bodied with a red patch on their heads. Their offspring came out as ghost blushing Angels until they were about a year old when they would change color to look like their parents. ( Unfortunately, I didn;t find this out until after I had sold off the babies :banghead::banghead::banghead: ) When I started doing some research on the development of the KOI Angel, it turned out that these "Red Caps" were one of the 9 lines it took to develop the Koi strain. So dark red is in their lineage and can show up at any time.

As for if the fish would choose a particular variety as a mate, these are all Angelfish. They are all variations of P. scalare. They don;t pick colors to mate with. They mate with the best fish available. If they didn;t, all we would have would be Silver Angelfish. ;) If you want this fish to mate with a particular fish, set the 2 fish up in a tank by themselves and give them the right environment to breed in. Make sure of course that one is a male and the other a female. :brows: :lol: Rarely, and I mean RARELY, will an Angelfish reject a suitable mate when given the correct parameters for breeding. This is why a skilled breeder can "make" pairs not just wait for them to happen. ;)

Hope this helps :D (y)

Im getting enough pairs now to be able to make pairs now myself. I just picked 2 pairs up from my local petco who got them in as a adoption and got them for 20 dollars a pair with 3 other prebreeders also. The girl at our local petco messaged us asap about them they were in the show tank for less then 20 minutes. I also just picked up another pair from a guy in philly that same night who was shutting down tanks and needed them gone. I have 6 pairs now. Just waiting for the new ones to get comfy enough to breed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom