wild crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattAquaBio

Aquarium Advice Freak
So yesterday i was at the pond and i see these two little crayfish eating a piece of bait i'd dropped at the edge of the water. One was about 1&1/4 inches, and the other is 3/4 of an inch.
They are in a 10 gallon quarantine tank right now. There are some fake plants and some rocks in there that they are hiding in. I've fed them shrimp pellets and they seem well. I just wnat to know how long i should quarantine them for to make sure they are okay. And what signs i shoudl look for of illness in crayfish.
I know compatability issues with crayfish and fish. They will be with larger fish that dont have long fins and the crayfish will have plenty of places to hide. (I've kept crayfish before, but i didnt know to quarantine them last time).
And aside from the shrimp pellets they are scavengers but would they eat the other fish pellets?.
Thanks.
P.S i'll post pictures of the little fellas when they come out for feeding lol.

One of the main concerns will be hitchhikers like Hydra, Leeches, Dragonfly/Damselfly nymphs, various nematodes and such.
I would quarantine for atleast a month, perhaps hit'em with non-copperbased anti-parasitic med.
They'll eat almost anything, preferably meaty foods.

hey bud.
i agree you should treat them with something as they come out of the wild and can carry things. and as he stated those bugs arent very good ones i know that.
if you need anymore help you know where to find me.
im glad u got them i know how bad u were wanting something like that.
cant wait to see pictures :p

In aus the bugs are nasty here, got some mountain crays off a friend who was gunna eat em', put em into a 30gal plastic containter. The crays were also about 10inches in length and would take a finger at the first chance.
After closer inspection these thing were crawling with wildlife!
As for the bugs, the meds killed the crays, left the bugs crawling from the container.

Just my 2c

So yesterday i was at the pond and i see these two little crayfish eating a piece of bait i'd dropped at the edge of the water. One was about 1&1/4 inches, and the other is 3/4 of an inch.
They are in a 10 gallon quarantine tank right now

If you haven't already, you might want to check your local fisheries department to see if it is illegal to remove these things from their habitat before posting...

I know compatability issues with crayfish and fish. They will be with larger fish that dont have long fins and the crayfish will have plenty of places to hide. (I've kept crayfish before, but i didnt know to quarantine them last time).

Something will become lunch. Crays are smart and will wait till fish sleep, Fish are smart and will wait till the cray molts. Might not happen straight away but unnessicary death WILL happen.
I'm sure you know this as you have kept crays before.....

Matt.

They like algae wafers and green beans and zuchinni and.... Just like everyone else.

They are an invasive species and the fish and wildlife services around here hate them. Besides that, its on my own pond. Yeha i know how the crayfish hunt and the relationship between them and fish, i was just more worried about the parasites, thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom