Will a betta eat my fish if i put him in my main aquarium ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys.. I got a new betta for my moms 5.5g betta tank, hers died... And while in Wal-Mart I saw another that really caught my eye.. well two actually.. One was a pink/red/orange one I have never seen colors like this before.. So I got him and I put him in my moms 30 long gallon tank.. The tank has 7 neons, like 8-9 livebearer like platy and sword tails.. 2 cory cats and a Bolivian ram..

The only fish im concerned about is the ram, but watching them the ram doesn't care about him.. The betta though when another fish gets nears him.. he kinda flairs up and goes after him for a second.. But normally he doesn't seem to bother anyone...

The other betta I didn't get but Im debating on going back and getting him.. He was emerald green... like the emerald gemstone and shiny too.. Very pretty.. I didn't get him though but I don't know if it would be smart to even put them in my main tanks..

The 27g Hex has ALOT of fish in it.. So it might be to crowded for him. I got white clouds, red/blue fin tetra, neon and glow light tetras, dwarf neon rainbow and Celebes rainbow. 3 Adult gold barbs... and some black neon tetra's.

The 55g, has mostly big fish.. 2 gourami (gold and blue) 3 angel fish (crossing my fingers they wont die like the others have) 2 bolivian ram, 2 gold barbs, 2 boesamani rainbow and 2 turquoise rainbows.. Since the 55g has a lot of giant fish in it that aren't even fully grown I don't think it would be a good tank for a betta ? And I don't know about my hex either..

What do you guys think ? Yes no ? Do you think I should return the other one I got for the 30g or do you think itll be ok ?

You have way too many in the tank already. If it were not for that the betta would likely work just fine.

Just not sure if it's the best fit for a betta too. Think of a graceful, slow-moving betta resting on leaves and gliding through plants. Now imagine 9 hyperactive livebearers swimming frenetically about gobbling everything in sight in the same tank. Just my personal opinion though, not saying it can't work.

You have way too many in the tank already. If it were not for that the betta would likely work just fine.

Since when is 17 fish in a 30 gallon tank (7 being small neons) WAYY too many fish... lol if you go by that silly aqua advisor my stock level is 78% and my filtration is 150% on my 30g.. and my 55g its 110% . Get real... I could put more fish in it if I wanted... Half the tank hardly even has a fish swimming in it.

Since when is 17 fish in a 30 gallon tank (7 being small neons) WAYY too many fish... lol if you go by that silly aqua advisor my stock level is 78% and my filtration is 150% on my 30g.. and my 55g its 110% . Get real... I could put more fish in it if I wanted... Half the tank hardly even has a fish swimming in it.

Livebearers are very dirty fish. You probably are not overstocked but just keep in kind that the livebearers are dirtier. Also extra filtra is overrated as far as helping a overstocked tank.

I think I would be more concerned about the bettas well being than if he's going to be bothering your other fish. Those big fins are almost to much to resist and alot of fish will nip at them.

Then you have a lot of fairly fast fish in there, so making sure that the betta was getting food could be a troublesome. Then again I've heard of quite a few people whom have had success putting a betta in a community. It just depends on the communities temperment.

I think I would be more concerned about the bettas well being than if he's going to be bothering your other fish. Those big fins are almost to much to resist and alot of fish will nip at them.

Then you have a lot of fairly fast fish in there, so making sure that the betta was getting food could be a troublesome. Then again I've heard of quite a few people whom have had success putting a betta in a community. It just depends on the communities temperment.

Yes I know livebearers are dirty always hungry fast fish that eat anything lol. I personally don't like them but its my moms tank. And yes I know filtration is overrated Im just stating what aqua advisor says.. I personally don't go off that thing.. My 27g hex according to it says my filtration is 70% and my tanks stock is 200% although I know its heavily stocked but its fine.. no one bothers eachother and I haven't had a fish die in like 4 months..

Anyway you are right abiduwabi the betta is getting picked on. I was checking the tank out this afternoon and noticed half his rear tail is chewed up... I don't want to return him to a little container with a hand full of water sitting on a shelf in Wal-Mart.. But I don't want to keep him in that tank anymore and I cant put him in the 5.5g as it has a betta in it..

Soo.. I guess I'll have to buy a 5th tank lol.. What do you guys recommend that is cheap... I have only $40 on me.. I don't want something quite as big as a 5 gallon either.. I was looking at the 1.5g tetra tank that has an led light and filter... but the review say the filter dies a lot so I wont get that... I like odd shaped tanks like cube shaped, hexagon ect..

I know there are like bow front looking fluval 2.5 gal tanks my parents have them

Just not sure if it's the best fit for a betta too. Think of a graceful, slow-moving betta resting on leaves and gliding through plants. Now imagine 9 hyperactive livebearers swimming frenetically about gobbling everything in sight in the same tank. Just my personal opinion though, not saying it can't work.

Lol that description for livebearers is pretty spot-on! :)

Back
Top Bottom