Will a phosphate remover prevent aglae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm re setting up my tank and I'm wondering will a phosphate remover remove or stop brown algae and other types of algae?
And will my plants (amazon swords, java moss, Indian ferns and a few stem plants) survive with out it?

I'm re setting up my tank and I'm wondering will a phosphate remover remove or stop brown algae and other types of algae?
And will my plants (amazon swords, java moss, Indian ferns and a few stem plants) survive with out it?

Seachem phosguard will help with both IF you have high silicates and phosphates.
Brown algae is caused from silicates and diatoms. So this should help that. I would test your tap water before AQ use then after a few days in the AQ to see how much of a change there is. My tap water runs at 2ppm of Phosphate after 7 days it jumps up from fish food and such to about 10ppm. This way you have a very good idea of a baseline. IF YOU USE any water buffers that contain phosphate you will get wonky water parameters pretty quick, so know what you are adding before hand so not to stress your fish or possibly lose them.

Okay I don't have a testing kit for phosphate so I'll get my tap water tested at a fish shop, there's no point in testing my tank water because as I said its a fishles cycle using liquid ammonia.

Will my plants be okay without it phosphate? (there not in there at the moment.)

Banana mouse said:
Will my plants be okay without it phosphate? (there not in there at the moment.)
They will, of coarse, need some phosphate to survive.

Ah okay I don't really know much about plants that why I ask, thanks

It may help keep it under control but u need to solve ur water issue to fully solve the problem. Maybe adding more plants is ur answer to naturally stabilize ur phosphates. I did the same thing and just kept adding some fast growing plants. I used phosphate pads and all sorts of stuff, but once the plants began to use the nutrients in the tank, it stabilized. This was just my experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom