Will cheese hurt fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowjo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My son gave the fish a very small piece of cheese.The tetras and the pictus catfish loved it.Is cheese bad for fish?

Hi...I don't think the cheese will hurt them. I read in a betta book once that you can give a betta a very small shred of cheese. I think your fish will be fine. Just don't give treats like cheese too often, though, because it's not a "native" food to the fish. Their digestive systems aren't set up like ours!

Some people go fishing using cheese; they roll it into a little ball and put it onto their hooks.

Do you know if they prefer Gouda or Swiss? Mine are having some friends over so it would be nice to know what kind of cheese to serve. :)

You have to be careful about introducing foreign bacteria into the tank...which cheese is loaded with. I would be hesitant.

Zanmato said:
Some people go fishing using cheese; they roll it into a little ball and put it onto their hooks.

Yeah, but fishers aren't really looking out for the fish other than finding the good ones to eat :)

(I know people catch and release btw, just joking around)

Back
Top Bottom